Messed up mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h-bar

Reaction score
I was scraping out my mash tun today, just as I started my boil, and took a bite of the spent grain. It was tart, because apparently all of my acid malt went to one spot. This wouldn't have happened if the brew store employee had listened to me, and put all my crushed grain in one bag. But no, he put the acid malt separate. So I added the acid malt first, mixed it around, and then added the rest of the grain. I'm assuming this belgian wit is going to be astringent as all hell. Great.

Couldn't you have just mixed it yourself before dough in if you were worried? At any rate, did you actually measure the mash pH?

Assuming you stir your mash even the slightest bit, there no way all of one grain ended up in one spot. Don't worry about it.

It is highly unlikely that it was all in one spot after stirring the mash. Even it did, then the liquid will all mix together so not big deal.

Latest posts

Back