Messed up Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loomis02

Reaction score
The problem Is I ordered grains to brew a Marzen beer

5.5 lbs German 2 row Pilsner
6 lbs Munich
2 oz Belgian cara-Munich
2 oz Belgian aromatic
4 oz Belgian biscuit

But now I have a Big problem ( My fault ) in the pull down menu when you order the grain I put the ounces but didn't notice the 1 pound in the top pull down, so now I have

1 lb 2 oz Belgian cara-Munich
1 lb 2 oz Belgian aromatic
1 lb 4 oz Belgian Biscuit

And it was all on one grain bill which means it's all mixed in one bag "Something I will never do again" so i'm wondering is there anything I can do. Even if I order double the Base grains to make a double batch it still would have way to much specialty grains.

How bad do you thing it would come out Brewed the way it is?
Man I would hate to chunk it and start over especially with the cost, but i don't have the equipment to brew that much.

How bad do you thing it would come out Brewed the way it is?
Man I would hate to chunk it and start over especially with the cost, but i don't have the equipment to brew that much.

If it was mine I would just brew it. It sure won't kill you , it may end up being more of a Dunklemarzen, it will for sure be "roasty".
I tried to figure out a ratio and then remove some grain but that got just too crazy even for a...give it a shot guess attempt. It will be a lot of mash....almost 19 qt of H20 plus the malt, just be sure of your pot size before you start and make two batches of mash if you need to. You can still boil the two mash batches together after you sparge.

Does anyone know how long crush grain will last. I think I will order more base grain so it will be double just to cut back on the heaviness a little and brew one fisrt than after I rack, brew the other and if possible can I rack the second one on the same yeast cake in the primary, that would save me from having to buy more yeast.

If it was mine I would just brew it. It sure won't kill you , it may end up being more of a Dunklemarzen, it will for sure be "roasty".
I tried to figure out a ratio and then remove some grain but that got just too crazy even for a...give it a shot guess attempt. It will be a lot of mash....almost 19 qt of H20 plus the malt, just be sure of your pot size before you start and make two batches of mash if you need to. You can still boil the two mash batches together after you sparge.

Roasty???? From which grain do you think he will get roast??? It will be biscuity/bready but I bet you end up loving the beer in the end. Lesson learned I guess.

I would say in the future dont buy them mixed together? That way you can use whats left after your recipe to invent new beers!

Mix it well and split into several batches worth. You should be able to estimate how much more base grain you need to add back to each portion to make a correct batch.

Invite others over to brew and have them bring their own base grains. Make it a Marzen party. Grill out, or have a gumbo, or whatever it is you people do down there.

16 ounces in a pound, so you have 18 ounces of Cara, which if you divide by the 2 ounces in your recipe, gives you about 9 batches worth...

Batches worth:
Cara = 9
Aromatic = 9
Biscuit = 10

Let's say you do 6 batches, which means using somewhat more of the specials per batch, then you would divide the base grains by 6 to equal:

Pilsner = 5.5/6 = .9 lbs
Munich = 6/6 = 1 lb.

So you'd need an additional 4.5 lbs of pilsner, and an additional 5 lbs of Munich added back in if you split the mixture 6 ways. Roughly.

You'd be closer to the recipe, and have a better chance at what your original recipe would be like. You would also have plenty of the mixture for playing with if you wished to experiment.

It's really hard to screw it up. There is a flavor for just about any taste, especially in a Belgian beer...

Thanks for all the info, I will be ordering more and dividing it up and yes, I will be drinking alot of Marzen. it's my second time brewing and I did learn a lesson. My first was a somewhat SNPA clone but I took the IBU down to around 28 and added some orange peel.
Beer came out great, my SWMBO that doesn't drink much beer likes it so guess thats a good sign.

[ATTACH=full]36765[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 57
Back