Melting hop spider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paramecium

Reaction score
So last week we brewed an IPA and tried out a new hop spider based off of what I had seen here on this site. The PVC looks like it deformed and melted slightly. The question is assuming some of the chemicals released by melting PVC got into my beer, should I risk keeping it? It would be a bummer to dump a full batch but it would be worse to risk exposure to toxic chemicals I think.

I'm not sure about chemical leaching from PVC. All I can offer is some advice for next time. C-PVC (as opposed to PVC) is recommended for any hot application.

Taste it and see, if you can't taste the plastic you probably won't be consuming enough to hurt you. :) No proof, but that's my .02

I'm not sure about chemical leaching from PVC. All I can offer is some advice for next time. C-PVC (as opposed to PVC) is recommended for any hot application.

I second the CPVC! What was yours made out of? My CPVC one hasn't even come close to melting yet.

I think if you are melting ANYTHING the design is wrong or you have one helluva hot burner! PVC/CPVC parts should not be in/touching the wort during the boil.

CPVC is an off white ivory color PVC aka schedule 40 is WHITE. schedule 80 is dark Gray

-=Jason=-

Mine almost melted on me during a prolonged boil once. I upgraded to metal. No melting the new one. However, I only break it out when using leaf hops.

Old one:

IMG_2770.JPG

New one:

hop_sputnik.jpg

What about the thicker black PVC?

thats ABS used for sewer application it's thinner than Sch40 and Sch80 and is not Pressure rated.

only CPVC is rated for higher temps than Sch40,Sch80, ABS

@Soperbrew looks like your new one is used in the HVAC industry I see those here at work the Plumbers/HVAC guys have that on the shelf.

-=Jason=-

Back