Megapot with weldless ball valve and brewmometer leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knelson

Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this which makes me feel even sillier.

I got a 10 gallon Megapot from NB for Christmas and when I went to install the weldless Ball valve and the brewmometer they both leaked.

The ball valve and assembly came with two o rings. The seal is solid on both sides of the kettle, but the leak is coming from between the lock nut and ball valve assembly where it is metal on metal.

The brewmometer only came with an o ring for inside the kettle. It is leaking on the outside of the kettle between the kettle and washer. Should I add another o ring on the outside.

Any help would be appreciated.

I did not add any teflon tape to the assembly. I am at work right now so I dont have access to my kettle. Does the ball valve assembly come with teflon tape on the threads between the lock nut and the actual assembly. If not I suppose this would take care of my problem.

The Thermometer says not to use teflon tape.

Also how tight should these be tightened. I broke one of the teflon rings as I was trying to stop the leak. I assume by overtightening.

Thank you!

I'm not sure about their kits if it has a teflon ring. You can get liquid traveling on the threads so I'm not sure why they don't advise using teflon tape.

You might give northern brewer a call to trouble shoot the kit.

Does their locknut have a groove?

Not sure, I will look tonight. I will give NB a call and see if they can trouble shoot with me. The thermometer is a blichman brewmometer and they expressly say to not use teflon tape. There was no teflon ring with either assembly only silcon Orings

Thanks for your help!

how did you fix this because im having the exact same problem with my 10 gal northerbrewer megapot..its driving me nuts

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this which makes me feel even sillier.

The brewmometer only came with an o ring for inside the kettle. It is leaking on the outside of the kettle between the kettle and washer. Should I add another o ring on the outside.

I have two Blichmann Brewmometers. Each came with the thermometer, an O Ring, a washer to go over the O Ring, and a nut. The order for installation is: Brewmometer, O Ring with Washer around the O Ring, Pot, and then Nut. The nut should be snug, but not super tight. The instructions that came with the Brewmometer have a note that says: NOTE that the o-ring goes on the OUTSIDE of the pot. Installing it on the inside of the pot will cause it to leak!!

The instructions also say that you should not use pipe tape on the weldless fitting.

I hope that this helps.

Mark

I hope

that thi

Thanks Mark, i could have sworn that the instructions with the brewmometer showed the o-ring on the inside of the pot. I will have to look closer when I get home today.

Dougbot- I went over to Northern Brewer and talked to one of the guys there. You will need to put teflon tape on the threads connecting the lock not to the main assembly, this should fix the leak on the ball valve. I am kind of surprised that the directions don't mention anything about that. I am about the least handy person I know so maybe that is common knowledge.

I asked about the brewmometer and the NB guy said it wouldnt be an issue to use teflon tape on that as well (even though the instructions say not to). He said they pretty use it on everything.

Thanks Mark, i could have sworn that the instructions with the brewmometer showed the o-ring on the inside of the pot. I will have to look closer when I get home today.

Dougbot- I went over to Northern Brewer and talked to one of the guys there. You will need to put teflon tape on the threads connecting the lock not to the main assembly, this should fix the leak on the ball valve. I am kind of surprised that the directions don't mention anything about that. I am about the least handy person I know so maybe that is common knowledge.

I asked about the brewmometer and the NB guy said it wouldnt be an issue to use teflon tape on that as well (even though the instructions say not to). He said they pretty use it on everything.

I think the reason why Blichmann wrote to not add teflon tape is because the lock nut is NPS thread, which is not a NPT. So it will screw over the NPT thread of the thermometer till the end. For my brewmometer, I've add teflon tape anyway because it can't hurt !

Latest posts

Back