Medicine Taste from Munich Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I brewed 10 gallons of wheat.

5 gallons had some boiled coriander added, and fermented with US-05.

5 gallons had no coriander and fermented with Danstar Munich.

I kegged both batches Saturday. At kegging, the coriander batch tasted very good.

The Munich batch, not so good. There was a distinct "medicine" taste to the beer.

I wonder if the medicine taste was due to the Munich yeast?

Though, it could just be green. Even though this is a wheat, it is only two weeks old.

:confused:

I vote for the yeast, It's not what it represents on package. I was very disappointed when I last used Munich Yeast. I would not say I had a medicine flavor, but it's way different than I expected.

I agree, While I have no problems when using Notty, I don't like how Munich turns out. I have a batch of hefe right now where I tried to be cheap and used Munich, and while it is certainly drinkable it is nowhere as good as it could have been if I had used a quality yeast.

I keep Munich on hand as a fall-back yeast. My washed 3068 was infected, so I had no choice.

Before, when I used Munich, I had good results. I may have to switch to WB-06 as my fall-back wheat yeast, though I am not thrilled with it.

I've had odd flavours from Munich and WB-06 before - actually, as a general principal I've never really found a dry yeast of any sort that produces pleasant esters. I stick to dry yeasts for beers where 'clean' is desired and ferment them cool, and use liquid yeasts for their superior yeast character in beers requiring this aspect.

Interesting, I chalked my Munich brewed wheat up to in infection, but with time, it has mellowed to what I would call a "chlorine/medicine" taste. This seems to be worst when it is first poured, and goes away a bit while it warms up and settles.

My current brew is an IPA with the Notty (one of the "trouble" batches). Just brewed it yesterday so I'm waiting to see activity tonight. I am pretty close to completely ditching the Danstar name. My best brew to date (out of 4 batches) has been with Wyeast Pacman.

I am pretty close to completely ditching the Danstar name. My best brew to date (out of 4 batches) has been with Wyeast Pacman.

In my experience, it takes a half-dozen brews or so to really get a handle on what a particular yeast strain is all about. I certainly wouldn't advocate writing off an entire yeast manufacturer's products based on only 3 different batches with differing strains, especially when they're so popular and widely reported to give good results.

In my experience, it takes a half-dozen brews or so to really get a handle on what a particular yeast strain is all about. I certainly wouldn't advocate writing off an entire yeast manufacturer's products based on only 3 different batches with differing strains, especially when they're so popular and widely reported to give good results.

While I agree that I am still a newb when it comes to my own experiences, all of the recent problem experiences that have been reported on here about the Danstar yeasts warrant my concerns. It will be worth it to me to use another brand and get the peace of mind of knowing that the hard work and money it takes for me to brew a batch will not be ruined. I’m not saying this is the way for everyone to go, but for me, I’d rather have that peace of mind. If it means I have to pay 5-6 bucks for liquid yeast, then it’s worth it.

I’ve been looking for an excuse to build a stir plate and get into yeast harvesting anyhow!

(BTW, I am sooo hoping that when I get home from work that I hear that great gurgling sound coming from the fermentor. If I do, I will come back and somewhat refute my rant against Danstar!)

Back