Measuring and adjusting mash pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javaslinger

Reaction score
So who's actually testing the pH of their mash?

Also, what's your process? 10 min into the mash and they pull a bit to cool? it sort of seems like by that time you're well into the mash at potentially the wrong pH? I've hear starch conversion is largely underway by then so why adjust the pH at that point?

Just trying to get a better understanding of the practical process.

You should pull a wort sample 10 to 15 minutes into the mash. Cool the sample to room temps (I use a shot glass placed inside another glass with cold water in it), then test the pH. You shouldn't be "chasing" a pH during the mash, for the reasons you listed in the OP. You should be calculating your pH via software and then testing to see if you've hit it or not. If your predicted pH is off from your actual pH you make a note of the discrepancy and adjust for next time.

You shouldn't be "chasing" a pH during the mash, for the reasons you listed in the OP. You should be calculating your pH via software and then testing to see if you've hit it or not. If your predicted pH is off from your actual pH you make a note of the discrepancy and adjust for next time.

Hmmm, ok.. I guess I'm confused by Beersmith having a what seems to be an on the fly pH adjustment calculator. :tank:

Back