Measuring alcohol level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltein

Reaction score
Is there a way to measure the approximate alcohol level in my wine if I have a refractometer but forgot to measure the Brix sugar content before the fermentation started?

Is there a way to measure the approximate alcohol level in my wine if I have a refractometer but forgot to measure the Brix sugar content before the fermentation started?

No.

You can guestimate the OG if you calculate out the sugar/ingredients and probably contribution but without that measurement you won't know the ABV.

Alcohol (vol/vol) = (1.646 * RBRIX) – (2.703 * (145 – 145/SG)) – 1.794

Copy paste is annoying on my phone.

You can use a vinometer. Works really well for finished wine.

A vinometer is a nifty little gadget. I'd never heard of one until now. I didn't watch the video so it may have already covered their limitations.

From HomebrewHeaven:

The vinometer is calculated on the basis of pure alcohol and water solutions, whereas wine is not a pure water/alcohol solution and the accuracy of a vinometer can not be relied upon.

Sugar interferes with the interfacial effects that a vinometer's action relies on and hence the method can only be applied to dry wines.

Similarly other components in wine can also interfere with accurate measurements

Back