Meaning of dry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albion85

Reaction score
I keep reading about some yeasts finishing a bit on the dryer side. Particularly when I read about Danstar Nottingham Dry yeast. What does it mean for a beer to be "dry" and how would it affect the overall flavour?

Dry means there are not a lot of residual sugars left and it leaves a dry feeling on the palate. Champagne is a good example of dry, a saison is a good example of a dry beer style

Dry refers to how much alcohol vs sugar is in the finished beer. I.e. how sweet. On a hydrometer, the lower the fg is, the dryer the beer is.

Dry is the opposite of sweet, meaning nearly all of the fermentable sugars have been converted to alcohol. Picture a big, malty imperial stout that has a sweet, syrupy finish. Now picture something like a saison that has a light, crisp body with very little sweetness on the aftertaste. That's dry.

BTW, don't confuse that with dry yeast strains, which refers to the way the yeast is stored (dry yeast in packets vs. liquid cultures in vials or smack packs) rather than the attenuation of the strain.

Latest posts

Back