Mead Tutorial - Comments?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHolt

Reaction score
I realize most everyone here is way more experienced than I am, but I'm a teacher and enjoy communicating what I have learned. I made a mead tutorial, it's here:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClPb9FtoVR0]How to Make Mead (Part 1) - YouTube[/ame]

Maybe this'll help a noobie mead maker you know!

Very nice, I wish I could find those bungs in Sweden. You can buy one gallon jugs, but I haven't seen any bungs. But I suppose my 2 liter soda bottles will do for my experimental batches. 3.7-ish liter would be a bit more fun for experimental batches, and those one gallon jugs are cooler.

Very nice, I wish I could find those bungs in Sweden. You can buy one gallon jugs, but I haven't seen any bungs. But I suppose my 2 liter soda bottles will do for my experimental batches. 3.7-ish liter would be a bit more fun for experimental batches, and those one gallon jugs are cooler.

There is a lot of bungs selling on ebay.
You also can choose the size which fit with your jug.

Oops, didn't know there was a tutorial section! Thanks for the comments!

wow, so many items that I see as wrong it's not even funny... One step cleaner to sanitize?? Then you rinse... WTF??? Just use StarSan and don't rinse AT ALL!

Also, with the honey flowing THAT well, you didn't need to heat it any more with water on the stove.

I would mention to NOT heat above 100F...

Oh and EC-1118 won't make it 'bubbly' just because it's champagne yeast...

15% is well within the range of what EC-1118 can handle (18%+).

I have to wonder how many batches the OP has actually made and how they really came out. I've not made a lot of batches, but 10-15 minutes after pitching, you're only seeing the degassing of the must, NOT yeast activity. You also need to put the must/mead where it can stay within the temperature range of the yeast. Plenty of info available about the strains from the manufacturers web site (Lalvin Strains).

Honestly, before I would recommend anyone use the method shown in the video, go over to the Got Mead? site and read the newbee guide as well as newbee section of the forums. You'll have MUCH better results that way. Plus, you can ask tons of questions (just search first) of mazers that have been doing this for decades. It was a huge help when I was getting started. Using that advice has yielded EXCELLENT mead for me.

Something else, using QUALITY honey is critical to get really great mead. Using something that's not strong in flavor will yield you a very weak flavored mead. You should also plan on the batch taking the better part of a year before it goes to bottles. Rack ONLY when it's done fermenting and has cleared as far as it can in that vessel. With most of the yeast, you'll not have issues leaving it where it is for a couple of months. Rack ever few months until it's clear (clear enough to see through and pretty much make out what's on the other side). If you don't go to the tolerance of the yeast (18%+ in the case of EC-1118) then you'll need/want to stabilize it. All info on that is on the Got Mead? site.

I suppose for someone that's never even thought about making mead, the video could be ok. But IMO, it has too much bad info/advice in it for me to just let it pass. Especially if you're paying upwards of $5 per pound of honey. You CAN get it for less BTW. Such as the 5 gallon bucket of honey I scored for $165 that's excellent local wildflower honey (which I prefer). I also purchased some local wildlflower (not so happy with it's flavor level) for $4/# (I probably won't buy that again). My first three batches (two 3 gallon and a 5 gallon) used 40# of honey. I plan on getting a bit more out of this years honey purchase. Of course, with 20# more honey, that shouldn't be difficult.

wow, so many items that I see as wrong it's not even funny...

Well sir, haha.

I have to disagree. I think that there is a lot of good information that is useful for the beginner mead maker.

Boiling honey CAN have benefits. There was a very unscientific experiment done by a blogger that compared side by side two of the same meads, except one was boiled and one wasnt. The results were that while boiled honey did lose some aroma, it was found to have a smoother and more full body. Again, this was just a double blind non scientific experiment, but I think it goes to show that this no boil dogmatism needs to rest. I do not boil, but I think its fine if people choose to.

Second, let a man rinse if he wished. some of us want as little of those chemicals in the product as possible, no matter how "safe" they are.

Also it does not require more than half a year to produce good mead. It can be done in under three months. I just served a very light mead at new years that people loved that was 5 weeks old.
I do agree that there is some things missing, but GotMead should be the first stop AFTER someone finds out that mead making is interesting and wants to try it out. This video shows people how easy it can be, and any truly inspired and motivated brewer will make the effort to go forward and check out gotmead or some books.

I dont want to seem like Im ranting at you or anything, I do appreciate your bluntness, haha.

And to BHolt, definitely check out Got Mead if you havent already. But what you have there is just fine by the way of mead. Your video will definitely get many people interested in mead making.

As far as constructive critisicm:
1.) You can use campden tablets to sanitize the must if you want, just crush one per gallon and drop it in and cover jug with a cloth, wait at least 12 hours, then pitch yeast.

2.) mead is tough on yeast because of acidity and lack of nutrients, so rehydrating according to the package is one of the easiest steps to producing better quality mead.

3.) Use a yeast nutrient, or use DAP and some boiled yeast slurry, (instead of yeast hulls). The boiled slurry can be boiled bakers yeast.

4.) not many one gallon recipes use less than 2.5 lbs of honey.

5.) Different yeast strains will produce different meads.

6.) To get "bubbly" mead, produce a dry mead, and then add some sugar or honey before bottling. I would advise reading up on the process as getting bottle bombs is easy.

Back