Md Brew Day - January 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice find! That thing must have just got posted :eek:

Sent the guy an email, yeah man. 10$ is great!

Now I just hope it fits on my stand. Does anyone know the diameter of this style keg? My grate is a bit oblong, it's 14" at the most narrow and 14.5" at the widest. The limiting factor here is a raised steel band which extends about 1/2" above the grill surface. So hopefully the keg is either smaller, or much larger.

I hope it fits, if not, that means my great deal of a $25 turkey fryer just $hit the bed completely.

btw, I saw a CFC in the pic that guy posted. Maybe I just found someone to brew with on the 16th.

Jay

Hey if you (or any other far away people) were interested in that Hoff stevens keg I could pick it up and bring it to brew day. I practically live in beltsville.

Nice find! That thing must have just got posted :eek:

Sent the guy an email, yeah man. 10$ is great!

Now I just hope it fits on my stand. Does anyone know the diameter of this style keg? My grate is a bit oblong, it's 14" at the most narrow and 14.5" at the widest. The limiting factor here is a raised steel band which extends about 1/2" above the grill surface. So hopefully the keg is either smaller, or much larger.

I hope it fits, if not, that means my great deal of a $25 turkey fryer just $hit the bed completely.

btw, I saw a CFC in the pic that guy posted. Maybe I just found someone to brew with on the 16th.

Jay

Na, your turkey fryer wont **** the bed if its too small, you just gotta get innovative!!

Hey if you (or any other far away people) were interested in that Hoff stevens keg I could pick it up and bring it to brew day. I practically live in beltsville.

I appreciate that, Thanks for the offer, I'll see how this sankey in Wilmington works out.

I might just take you up on that.

Jay

I just picked up a free sankey from a beer store in town. The bottom of the keg has 2 large dents on the support metal, not the bottom of the pot. So it dosen't rest flush on a flat surface. I don't think it's going to cause a liability as far as tipping, but I'm going to need to grill grate to place on top of my burner.

Also - what do you guys think about this one?
http://delaware.craigslist.org/for/1527554789.html

$150 seems a bit steep for me, but I haven't priced welding work or weld-less fittings? I also sent him a question about the top of the site glass, looks like it could break easily if not secured at the top.

Sorry for all the mini-hijacks - BUT - I'm trying to get my gear all lined up so I can come down and brew with you guys. :D

Jay

thats a good deal to me....i have a freidn that just made one and the welding was 125$ and the fittings are abotu 20(?) so if you dont know someone who will do the work for you free.....

I have 4 keggles, plus the other keg, and need to make some room.

Sorry to hijack, I wish I could make the brewday, but I'm working the 16th.

Hey Al, in between hangovers this weekend, I did some research on the chai. First, I saw one mention of a modorate flavor for 5G being imparted by 1.25 ounces. I would use my 16 years of education and say 2.5 ounces is good for 10G. I also found an approach for adding the flavor to the kettle:

In a separate pot, boil all spices in approximately 1 quart of
water for 20 minutes. (You should have the spices boiling about
the same time as you start the wort boiling.)
After 20 minutes of a nice rolling boil, shut off heat, cover and
leave spices sit in water for another 20 minutes.
At 20 minutes left to the wort boil, add spice tea through a
strainer directly into wort.

I looked at the Sam Caligone book, but it did not have anything for chai, only ginger. I am not sure what the flavor strengths are between the 2 are. He had the ginger just being added to the kettle.

Hey Al,

What do you think of this for the base recipe for the saison:

Code:
Chai Saison

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

19-D  Belgian & French Ale, Saison

Min OG:  1.055   Max OG:  1.080
Min IBU:    20   Max IBU:    45
Min Clr:     6   Max Clr:    12  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):        11.00    Wort Size (Gal):   11.00
Total Grain (Lbs):       19.50
Anticipated OG:          1.052    Plato:             12.87
Anticipated SRM:           3.6
Anticipated IBU:          16.1
Brewhouse Efficiency:       75 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      15.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:   12.94    Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.044    SG          11.01  Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used:   Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 82.1    16.00 lbs. Pilsener                      Germany        1.038      2
  7.7     1.50 lbs. Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8
  5.1     1.00 lbs. Cane Sugar                    Generic        1.046      0
  5.1     1.00 lbs. Wheat Malt                    Belgium        1.038      2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2.00 oz.    Hallertauer                       Whole    4.00  16.1  60 min.

Yeast
-----
Any Belgian

wow, I'm gone for like 5 days and I'm 10 pages of posts behind. Caught up now, don't think I missed anything to important.

Hey Al,

What do you think of this for the base recipe for the saison:

I'd prefer to up the wheat and munich a bit if you're up to it.

I used ~50% pils, ~20% munich, ~20% wheat, ~10% adjunct sugar.

1# of wheat in a 10g beer means this thing is basically a pils. I know the yeasties play a big part in it, but I'd like some sort of mouthfeel to it.

Works for me. I will rework it with your percentages. You want to use any honey as an adjunct or just sugar? I know how you mead guys covet your honey.

Honey's worthless in beer, ferments out completely and doesn't leave much honey flavor behind. Besides, the real flavor in this will be the chai.

It doesn't have to match my percentages, but I'd like a little more than a pound of each.

In my 5g batch it was 6, 2, 2, 1 (pils, wheat, munich, adjunct)...so when I saw 1# in 10g was half of my 5g batch, something stirred up the brain.

Honey's worthless in beer, ferments out completely and doesn't leave much honey flavor behind. Besides, the real flavor in this will be the chai.

It doesn't have to match my percentages, but I'd like a little more than a pound of each.

In my 5g batch it was 6, 2, 2, 1 (pils, wheat, munich, adjunct)...so when I saw 1# in 10g was half of my 5g batch, something stirred up the brain.

Clap and I made a honey blonde or something like that, it was about 35-40% honey and it turned out fantastic. It was a recipe we found on this site actually.

Back