MC- White grape cherry apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I haven't come up with a better name for this creation, it was what I labeled the bottles with and it stuck, MC stands for "Mixed Cider". This is a refreshing treat, slightly tart and a bit sweet. SO is in love with it.

MC Recipe(5 gallon batch):
2.5 gallons apple Juice (I use cheapest I can find)
2 gallons Welch's White Grape Cherry
200 grams sugar (I have used both dextrose and table sugar)
yeast nutrient
S-04 Yeast
2 quarts Welch's White Grape Cherry to add after fermentation is complete

Mix together the 2.5 gallons apple juice, 2 gallons of white grape cherry, sugar, and nutrient. Aerate with your preferred method. Pitch yeast. Ferment 3 weeks. Pour 2 quarts White Grape Cherry into keg then pour cider on top. Purge with CO2 and chill immediately to stop yeast activity. Carbonate and serve.

I have made this with D47 yeast and it was a bit drier. If bottling mix all 5 gallons of juice together and ferment. Add priming sugar and bottle after 3 weeks.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• image000000 (5).jpg
    image000000 (5).jpg
    977.6 KB · Views: 32
How important is your choice of yeast? Have you tried other types?

I need to get a kegging setup so I can try recipes that use normal sugars for back sweetening. Bottle carbing really limits my options.

How important is your choice of yeast? Have you tried other types?

I need to get a kegging setup so I can try recipes that use normal sugars for back sweetening. Bottle carbing really limits my options.
I am still experimenting with different yeast. I have used D47, S-04, and currently have a batch ready to keg made with 71B. The SO really loved the last batch brewed with S-04, so far that one is the winner(the D47 was also good). My next batch I am going to try Imperial Yeast A38 Juice(I have been using that on my latest batch of hazy ipa's and have been propagating the yeast). I can say I would not recommend EC-1118, it strips too much of the sugars and comes out super dry.

If bottling, we found that it is best from about 1week to 4 weeks out, so drink young. You could try refrigerating all your bottles after about a week, that will stop the yeast activity and preserve the sweetness.

Hope you enjoy it!

If bottling, we found that it is best from about 1week to 4 weeks out, so drink young. You could try refrigerating all your bottles after about a week, that will stop the yeast activity and preserve the sweetness.

That is very true, but then it wouldn't be bubbly which I really prefer in a cider :(

I don't have a keg setup either so I bottle carb everything. I use the smallest water bottles I can find and fill 3-4 of them when I bottle my cider and use them as the test bed. Once they start to feel as stiff as a coke from a gas station refrigerator I open one to taste test it. Once they are where I want them I put all the glass bottles in the dishwasher and run a sanitation cycle to pasteurize the yeast so I can then store them as long as I want.

I haven't come up with a better name for this creation, it was what I labeled the bottles with and it stuck, MC stands for "Mixed Cider". This is a refreshing treat, slightly tart and a bit sweet. SO is in love with it.

yeast nutrient
S-04 Yeast

Mix together the 2.5 gallons apple juice, 2 gallons of white grape cherry, sugar, and nutrient. Aerate with your preferred method. Pitch yeast. Ferment 3 weeks. Pour 2 quarts White Grape Cherry into keg then pour cider on top. Purge with CO2 and chill immediately to stop yeast activity. Carbonate and serve.

I have made this with D47 yeast and it was a bit drier. If bottling mix all 5 gallons of juice together and ferment. Add priming sugar and bottle after 3 weeks.

Enjoy!
Seems like it would ferment dry at 7-8% and restart when adding the 2 qts. Have you tried adding a non fermentable sweetener after racking?

yeast nutrient
S-04 Yeast

Enjoy!
Seems like it would ferment dry
I don't have a keg setup either so I bottle carb everything. I use the smallest water bottles I can find and fill 3-4 of them when I bottle my cider and use them as the test bed. Once they start to feel as stiff as a coke from a gas station refrigerator I open one to taste test it. Once they are where I want them I put all the glass bottles in the dishwasher and run a sanitation cycle to pasteurize the yeast so I can then store them as long as I want.
does this work with the dishwasher?

Back