Max HeadRoom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackHat

Reaction score
I'm planning on some half batches (2.5 gallons), but I don't have equipment geared for half batches. I know that in secondary fermentation you want to have the least amount of head room in your carboy as possible, but what about primary fermentation - can I get away with 2.5 gallons in my 5 gallon carboy? Is there a maximum amount of head room for primary and secondary fermentations?

hehe yeah I was hoping someone would catch the reference ;)

So I can go ahead and put 2.5 gallons in the primary because of CO2 buildup, but that isn't true in the secondary since most of the CO2 dissipates during the racking process?

hehe yeah I was hoping someone would catch the reference ;)

So I can go ahead and put 2.5 gallons in the primary because of CO2 buildup, but that isn't true in the secondary since most of the CO2 dissipates during the racking process?

don't use a secondary, just leave in primary for 3 weeks or so then keg or bottle as one of the other posts said. Only time you use secondary is if you want to age a beer for extended period of time and you don't want it sitting on the yeast for months.

Linc

Without this turning into a "secondary: yay or nay" thread, I make three gallon batches and I rack into a three gallon secondary carboy. It helps clear it up just as it does in five gallon batches.

Even if you are using a secondary that is bigger than your batch size, enough CO2 comes out of solution during the racking process to reblanket the beer in the new vessel. No worries.

Back