MattMill LauterHelix (false bottom/bazooka tube alternative)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip_h

Reaction score
Has anyone tried one of these as opposed to a false bottom or bazooka tube? Looks interesting...

1190453.jpg

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/MattMill-LauterHelix-1000_p_7190.html

That's brilliant! If the fab was done proper that could be a big winner...
[edit] Looked at the rest of the pics - looks like they actually thread the spring right into the tee! Cool!

Cheers!

Hi over there!
I am the proud inventor and manufacturer of the MattMill Lauterhelix and other MattMill products.
It has revolutionized the home brewer scene in Germany.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me!
Best regards from germany!
Matthias Hoßfeld

The T-part is 3x 1/2".
The pass through the kettle wall is as well 1/2".
The connection for a valve is inner thread 3/4".
MattMill Lauterhelix is designed for use in mash tun in any form. And you can use it in a heated vessel as well.
best regards
Matthias

I want one NOW. That looks awesome. The only place I can find in the US that carries it is Austin Home Brew. May have to wait until tax return but I plan on getting one.

I want one NOW. That looks awesome. The only place I can find in the US that carries it is Austin Home Brew. May have to wait until tax return but I plan on getting one.

Funny thing about Austin home brew.... If I order 2 of these the shipping is $7.99 but if I order just one the shipping is $10.46 go figure... I guess they hide some of the cost in the shipping fees

The only concern I have here is the spring looks to be a lot larger in diameter than the braided stainless setup I have now and the 1/2" tee being larger will loose siphon once the level gets to the top of it leaving about twice as much wort sitting in the bottom of my mashtun. I wish they made one tat had a smaller/ lower connection point closer to the bottom. I would be using it under my false bottom since I need a secondary finer "last chance" filter to keep any solids out of my small 24v dc pumps... I suppose I could fill in the top half of the tee so it retains a siphon longer?

Question for mattmill, whats the inside diameter of this spring? The reason I ask is I currently use a cpvc 1/2' fitting with the braided stainless around it and the total thickness is only around 5/8-3/4" resting on the bottom of my mashtun. Im wondering if I can use that with the spring inserted over it instead and get that extra half gallon out of the tun?

Hi,
at the end of lautering and sparging there will remain some (very thin) wort on the bottom your lautering tun. It is caused physically by the height of the lowest point of the sided hole in your container.
I tip at the end the container to let it run out. This rest of wort, most times muddy, I recycle to the top. After running through it is totally clear and I can take it out by decanting.
In this way, you'll loose almost nothing of extract.
The inner diameter of the wire spiral is approximately 16,25mm. (82/128")
PS: sorry for my german accent of my school english, I do hope, you understand me. :)

Hi,
at the end of lautering and sparging there will remain some (very thin) wort on the bottom your lautering tun. It is caused physically by the height of the lowest point of the sided hole in your container.
I tip at the end the container to let it run out. This rest of wort, most times muddy, I recycle to the top. After running through it is totally clear and I can take it out by decanting.
In this way, you'll loose almost nothing of extract.
The inner diameter of the wire spiral is approximately 16,25mm. (82/128")
PS: sorry for my german accent of my school english, I do hope, you understand me. :)
I do understand. thank you... I recirculate with my system and will be using this under another false bottom.. I thought about tipping it while using it but would rather not.
The height on the hole of the mash tun doesnt matter for me since im draining with a pump and my current setup works like a diptube creating a siphon until it drains far enough to introduce air. If I use the 1/2" tee that height is higher and my mash tun is 15 1/2" in diameter which means it would leave well over a gallon in the bottom unless you tip it and hold it that way while draining.

Question for mattmill: my mash tun is a former blue plastic grain barrel, the hole is about 3 inches above the bottom of the tun. I don't use a pump. Have you had good luck using this in a mash tun WITHOUT pumping and WITHOUT using a false bottom? I have a very small (8") circle of perforated SS that I set over my bazooka tube to keep it from getting crushed, but I'm getting horrible drainage of my mash using it. I'd rather buy only your product OR a new false bottom that fits better, not both (due to finances).

Hello seatazzz,
the lauter helix replaces any other systems and needs of course no other false bottom. It ist very strong, flexible and durable and will last a lifetime.
To avoid death space and remaining wort in your container, it should be senseful to mount as low as possible. For the standart Lauter Helix a approximately 7/8"- hole is needed to mount.
You will be amazed, how good it works: extremely fast clear wort and great flow rate.
Its good for mashes until appr. 10-15 gallons. Above this you should use the bigger version, MMLH 1800, this will work fine for mashes up to 50 gallons.

No, sorry,
it has been invented to hold back crushed grain.
In use as a filter in a wort-hop-boil kettle, it won't work, caused by clogging with protein clumps.
But in fact, it is the most modern lautering system, because you can use it in a heated mash kettle.

I bought the bigger one..(for much more $$). it slowed the flow on my system compared to what I was using and that was with using it under another false bottom... it would work well in a cooler setup I thing for draining and sparging but it was too restrictive for recirculation.

All the ones I've seen have a 1m length coil.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to pass on it. Seemed like a cool idea though.

All the ones I've seen have a 1m length coil.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to pass on it. Seemed like a cool idea though.
I thought the same, It does work..but in my kettle the coils were too close and it cut the flow on my flowmeter. Also the tall height with the tee meant like 1/2 gallon of liquid stayed in my MT when draining which I didnt like.

Reading the MattMill specs I now see it says "No use in pump circulated systems."

Attachments

• MattMill Läuterhexe Doku EN 2015.pdf
    98 KB · Views: 47
My friends in Germany use it and are happy with it.
Well, I'm fairly happy with my bazooka tube and I'd certainly recommend it, but I'm curious if this would make any improvement to my system.

Do your friends pump circulate? I have a RIMS, so I need good flow. Seems like flow restriction was augie's main problem with it and the specs say not to use with a pump.

Well, I'm fairly happy with my bazooka tube and I'd certainly recommend it, but I'm curious if this would make any improvement to my system.

Do your friends pump circulate? I have a RIMS, so I need good flow. Seems like flow restriction was augie's main problem with it and the specs say not to use with a pump.
They don't pump, I'm afraid.

Back