Matcha in kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dianaharp

Reaction score
Hello! Is it acceptable to use matcha when brewing kombucha? If so, what is the matcha powder equivalent of 6 teaspoons of loose leaf tea? So far I've used white and black teas successfully with this scoby.
Thanks!

Yes you can use matcha but if you're going to use only that, try it in a separate jar in a small volume first as a test. Since you're leaving the tea particles in the solution you'll run the risk of them molding if any stay on the surface. Additionally, it may permanently color the SCOBY, this is why you don't want to test in your primary fermentor.
Leaving this sit for a week would probably produce a fairly astringent product.
I have used Republic of Tea Double Green for KT, it turns out well. Their bags are only dusted with matcha, so most of it just settles out in primary anyway. You could certainly replicate this. I have not fermented matcha alone. It may all settle to the bottom.
If you have some, give it a shot, keep good notes and let us know how it turns out.

The matcha kombucha turned out really well! Has a nice tangy flavor. During secondary fermentation I added ginger to one batch and orange blossom water & vanilla essence to another. For some reason the ginger one is getting very carbonated, in a good way.

Initially I was worried as the scoby turned dramatically dark as soon as I put it in the matcha/sugar concoction, but it's functioning well and hasn't gone moldy. Attached is a picture of it as I was preparing the secondary fermentation. It's gone back into another matcha/sugar batch.

Thanks for the advice! :mug:

matcha scoby.JPG

The matcha kombucha turned out really well! Has a nice tangy flavor. During secondary fermentation I added ginger to one batch and orange blossom water & vanilla essence to another. For some reason the ginger one is getting very carbonated, in a good way.

Initially I was worried as the scoby turned dramatically dark as soon as I put it in the matcha/sugar concoction, but it's functioning well and hasn't gone moldy. Attached is a picture of it as I was preparing the secondary fermentation. It's gone back into another matcha/sugar batch.

View attachment 166901
Hello

View attachment 166901
Hello Dianaharp
Hey Baby

I need your help and experience. Thank you for guiding me. I have to work on fermenting matcha tea in the production of kambucha drink.
I could not find the powdered leaves of matcha tea. I decided to use the Matcha tea bag but found no pure samples. So I want to use organic matcha tea powder.
So that means I can brew matcha powder in hot water, then add sugar and then add Scopi and let it ferment? Did this work for you and not cause a problem for the scope? Before adding a scoop to the container, do I need to filter the brewed macha tea to remove sediment or not?

Back