Masking a sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d3track

Are you sure about that?
Reaction score
So, the Surly AHA wort rally is a kettle soured wort, and I'm not much of a fan of sours (I signed up right away before the info on the wort was released).

I'm trying to think of what I can do to make it seem more tart than sour and could really use some input.

I'm thinking of using WLP028, to hopefully leave a little maltiness (I also have 013, 800, 835 on hand)

Then either dry hopping, or maybe mint since it's a light wort.

What do you all think?

So, the Surly AHA wort rally is a kettle soured wort, and I'm not much of a fan of sours (I signed up right away before the info on the wort was released).

I'm trying to think of what I can do to make it seem more tart than sour and could really use some input.

I'm thinking of using WLP028, to hopefully leave a little maltiness (I also have 013, 800, 835 on hand)

Then either dry hopping, or maybe mint since it's a light wort.

What do you all think?

You could add Calcium Carbonate (or Baking Soda - but it's slightly salty) to neutralize some of the acid.

IMO your best bet is to brew another beer, and blend it. alot like grand teton does with snarling badger.

then try adding fruit to one of the batches or something.

Back