mashing technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
So far I've been using a basic single infusion mash. I was wondering if ales woul benefit from a three step inusion mash at temps of 40c 60c and 90c. Also I would like to know what these benefits would be.

TIA

Different starches convert to sugar at different temps. Also different grains have different amounts of the different types of starches. Wheat for instance benefits from a step mash. Regardless there is nothing wrong with doing this; you might affect body and efficiency.

This image from John Palmers "How to Brew" showing the different temperatures to convert the various starches.

Enzchart.gif

So far I've been using a basic single infusion mash. I was wondering if ales woul benefit from a three step inusion mash at temps of 40c 60c and 90c. Also I would like to know what these benefits would be.

TIA

No, 90 is far too high.

I do 104, 145, 160 (in Fahrenheit) for most beers.

Charlie Bamforth dropped a bombshell on the last Brewing Network Sunday Session, that proteolysis doesn't really occur in mashing because inhibiting enzymes are present (it does occur in malting, he says, because the proteolytic and inhibiting enzymes are separate). He did say that there are positive benefits to lower rests, particularly break down of beta glucans. The typical rest for that per Narziss, Fix etc is 40 C or 104 F. The benefit of breaking down beta glucans is that you will have easier access to starch (faster conversion times) and better runoff. If malt is fully modified or overmodified (british malt typically is), there may be little benefit. I also like mashing in lower so I can measure pH and adjust if necessary before I get to what I would consider the more important rests.

ETA: mashing in below gelatinization temps eliminates doughballs.

Assuming you're using well modified base malts the biggest difference the average home brewer will see is in fermentability.

Mashing at the upper range will produce a wort with more unfermentable sugars (higher final gravity & those unfermented sugars are in the finished beer.) Mash at the lower range and the wort will be more fermentable (lower final gravity.) Mash temp allows you to control the character of the final product & match to the style you're going for.

Single infusion mash is picking a "middle ground." Step mashing is just a finer level of control. (Sort of "give me a half dozen doughnuts," vs. "give me 4 glazed and 2 cake.")

Back