mashing and brewing later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southern brewer

Reaction score
I have been working 80 hour work weeks and if I'm going to brew, its going to have to be with a mash one day and brewing about 5 days later. Will it be ok to collect my wort and put it in a sanitized container for that time and then finish brewing later in the week?

boy, since mash is pre boil, my common sense says no sweat........ but, my new'b ness says i am unqualified to anser.

stale-ness................. totally outa my leage.

bttt for you!

if you do this it'll be one hell of a sour lambic style beer!! this is known as souring your mash and is a primary tool of belgian lambics.

Any time you have wort at 70F to 80F, bacteria in the wort can and will multiply rapidly. Yes, bacteria can be present in a wort even after the boil and cooling. Pitching the yeast as early as possible is the best way to not give the bacteria any head start. Keeping fermentation temperature (the wort itself) at 66F to 67 F (for an ale) is also a good way to prevent bacteria production in the ferment. Bacteria can not compete well with yeast in large numbers. Read all you can on this subject as it is most important in brewing.

Anybody who has let grains set out for a day in their MLT will tell you this is not a good idea. I think Biermuncher describes the smell as similar to a "dead horse's ass". Microbial tomfoolery indeed! :(

I say go for it. You may start off trying to make an amber and end up with a Flander's Red. That would kick A$$!

If you get everything you need for your brewday done ahead of time, i.e. sanitizing, cleaning, setting up, etc, then you can get a head start on your brewing and be able to pull the trigger anytime you want. Get your burner ready, keggle cleaned and covered, carboy filled with star san and covered, keep your airlocks in a tupperware of solution with a lid. These will all keep for a while as long as they're covered and in star san. When you find yourself with three hours, heat your water and go.

If you cut out the prep and cleaning time, our average brewday is three hours long (Mash/Sparge/Boil). We also batch sparge, so that may be cutting down some time as well. A copper chiller is a must, as well as a good mash tun that doesn't loose heat and sparges well. Good luck!

I got to brew over the weekend. I basically started my mash late saturday night/early sunday morning and then woke up around 5 hours later and finished brewing. Sunday was a busy day and i wanted to brew! I had to change an alternator out and work on the house.
anyhow, i have read about people starting their mash and leaving it for 8 hours and having no issues. Mine was 4-6 hours i think. it defanitely didn't smell like dead horses ass. i've forgot to clean my MLT before and it'll make you loose your lunch thats for sure. I wasn't planning on leaving it in the MLT (if there weren't any side affects); i was going to drain it and cap it in a sanitized carboy. But there was no need for it today. i didn't have time to mash again anyhow. and with all my equipment issues over the weekend, i don't think i would have tried anyhow.
My good burner got clogged somewhere in the line and i had to rever to my older burner. that thing managed to catch my supply line on fire (which scared the living crap out of me)
Oh, and the inlaws decided to come over halfway through everything. all is well in the end. its bubbling away in the corner of the room as we speak

Back