Mash Tun w/ bazooka screen help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
So, picked up this bazooka screen off amazon that stated it was 12" long with a 1/2" male adapter at the end. It arrives today and they lied, the adapter is a 3/4" adapter. The hole in my cooler is: exactly 3/4" if I leave in the little rubber-like liner in for seal or 15/16" (0.9375 inches) if I remove it. What are my cheapest options available? I was thinking putting a 1/2" CPVC coupling through the hole (OD is 0.89in so that's a 0.04-ish difference). Would that tiny difference be an issue for leaks? I would then just get a slip to FPT CPVC adapter that is 1/2" to 3/4" and insert the screen into that. Would any of this work? I'd obviously have to also put a slip to threaded adapter on the other end of the coupling. I would assume I'd want some o rings along the cpvc as well to help fill in that tiny gap difference.

My other option is on the pricier end. A 3/4" Male to Make 2" long nipping through the center (leaving the rubber liner in) and then attaching brass male to female adapters on each end of that, but each part there is around $5-6 each piece. I'd rather not.

Ideas? Help? Much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Kinda like that. The valve wall is too thick to pass through the cooler wall, yet the end of the bazooka screen fits through but is not long enough to reach and screw into the valve. I'm assuming I need some kind a female to male adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_4566.JPG
    IMG_4566.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 142
I may have a stainless nipple that’s around 2 inches. I will give it to you for the cost of shipping if it’s the right size

So, picked up this bazooka screen off amazon that stated it was 12" long with a 1/2" male adapter at the end. It arrives today and they lied, the adapter is a 3/4" adapter. The hole in my cooler is: exactly 3/4" if I leave in the little rubber-like liner in for seal or 15/16" (0.9375 inches) if I remove it. What are my cheapest options available? I was thinking putting a 1/2" CPVC coupling through the hole (OD is 0.89in so that's a 0.04-ish difference). Would that tiny difference be an issue for leaks? I would then just get a slip to FPT CPVC adapter that is 1/2" to 3/4" and insert the screen into that. Would any of this work? I'd obviously have to also put a slip to threaded adapter on the other end of the coupling. I would assume I'd want some o rings along the cpvc as well to help fill in that tiny gap difference.

My other option is on the pricier end. A 3/4" Male to Make 2" long nipping through the center (leaving the rubber liner in) and then attaching brass male to female adapters on each end of that, but each part there is around $5-6 each piece. I'd rather not.

Ideas? Help? Much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Step #1: Go onto Amazon, report a problem with your order as "item not as described." Amazon should allow you to return the item for free and get your money back.

Step #2: Order one that is actually 1/2 in like this one I just ordered the other day and it's only $5

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064OFCHW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Keep in mind also, 1/2 in npt male is over 0.8 inches in actual outside diameter.

https://www.fairburyfastener.com/xdims_pipe_threads.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back