Mash Tun size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandw12786

Reaction score
Yes, yes, I've read Bobby's chart.

Yes, yes, I've searched the forums. Actually been searching for a bit over a week.

I'm an extract brewer, but recently figured out that my off flavors and generally crappy beers have probably been the result of chlorine, since I'm doing partial boils. To fix it, I got a 10 gallon kettle, and built a 50' wort chiller (that was fun!). I also built a station for a corona mill since I was tired of using a rolling pin to crush grain. I figured with all this money I had invested, it was stupid to not spend another 40-60 bucks and just go all-grain, since the MLT is the only thing I need now, and that money should quickly be made up in ingredient cost anyway.

I'm deciding on a cooler size, and I'm trying to decide between 5 and 10 gallon round rubbermaid drink coolers. Money isn't my issue, I'll pay the extra 20 bucks for the 10 gallon, no problem. However, I still cant really find a consensus here if the 5 gallon would be better for my situation. I'm really not a fan of big beers.... sometimes they're great, but I have no desire to brew one yet. Love brewing my 5%-6% wheats, pale ales, and such. If I'm consistently brewing batches like this, should I just go for the 5 gallon, or will the 10 gallon work equally well for mashing and sparging smaller batches, and give me flexibility to try out a wheat wine when I want to? :rockin:

i make 5gal batches with a 5gal mash tun. I can only fit about 12lbs of grain (with water) in a batch. You're gonna want a 10 gal kettle for a 5 gal batch (start out with 6.5 gal initial boils and prevent boil overs). I think the 5gal cooler will hold temps better for the smaller batches and low gravity beers you're making.

Latest posts

Back