Mash Tun Sight Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxofRain

Reaction score
This could be a dumb question but I'm throwing it out there anyway....

I'm in the process of putting together an AG system. I'm hoping to get my first AG under my belt within a month or so. Does the grain added to the mash tun affect the accuracy of a sight glass? This wouldn't be so big during the mash as you add the grain after the water, but what about during batch sparging?

I've considered this, but then just figured a thermometer would be the only really nice thing for my mash tun(even though it would also get pretty nasty with all the grain, and would probably have to calibrate it often).

Wouldn't the grain absorption screw up the readings on a sight glass?

I've considered this, but then just figured a thermometer would be the only really nice thing for my mash tun(even though it would also get pretty nasty with all the grain, and would probably have to calibrate it often).

Wouldn't the grain absorption screw up the readings on a sight glass?

I use a Blichmann kettle that has both sight glass and Brewmometer and the Brewmometer works fine. The sight glass isn't real reliable once the grain is involved it's more for the boil kettle and the amount of water before grain is added.

I use one sight glass on my single tier. It's on my HLT. Everyone is different but the only time I care about a real accurate liquid measurement is for my Strike and Sparge water. Eye balling levels through experience after that works for me.

I do love it on the HLT and my BK, that way I know exactly how much I've evaporated, and make sure I hit my target volume.

Thanks guys. Exactly what I thought. I'll pass putting one on my cooler. I have the level incements on the inside to use prior to adding grain. I just need to make sure they are correct!

I've been thinking about putting a sight glass on the mash tun for the purpose of monitoring water level during sparging without opening the lid... This will be handy during batch sparge as I know when to stop adding water, and during fly sparge to make sure that the in/out flow rates are set properly to keep the water level consistent...

It's a "down the road sometime" feature for me though... I want to add a permanent thermometer in the thing first... And a sight glass on my keggle before that...

Back