Mash Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfarmDan

Reaction score
My old 1992 Dave Miller's Brewing the World's Great Beers calls for a 2 hour mash on almost all recipes. I see a lot of posts here for a 1 hour mash. Whats changed?

Several of us do 30 min mashes as the norm.

Ingredients have changed, methods have changed... beer is good.

If I am mashing under 150, I go 75 mins; 150 and over, 60. Why - early on I had some conversion issues at 148-47 at 60 mins. So, I just switched to 75 mins for anything under 150.

Thanks. so using those recipes with the mash reduced from 2 hours to one hour should be fine?

The length of time to mash depends on the quality of the milling of the grain. I can show full conversion by the iodine test in less than 5 minutes. You may not show full conversion in 90 minutes if you got a poor job of milling.

BTW, conversion might be done in a very short time but extraction of the flavors may take longer. You really don't want to mash less than about 20 minutes regardless of how quick your conversion happened.

Back