Mash Time Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello

When I mashed in, I was below my target temp, so I boiled some extra water and added it in. It took me like an extra 10 or 15 minutes. So instead of mashing for 60 minutes at my target temp, I was at 144 for 15 minutes then I went for another 60 minutes at 148.

Will this affect my beer in any way? Or is it like a step mash? I dont know what reactions occur at 144. Will the extra time draw of tannins and make the beer astringent?

Thanks

For the saccharification / sugar rest, you want the starches completely converted to sugar which is a function of both time and temperature. There is probably a point at which the rest is too long but I am not sure what that might be. There is certainly a time that is too short - use the iodine test to make sure the starch has fully converted. After that, I think you're good to move on.

By the way, 60 minutes at 148 is probably fine. This is at the lower end of the sugar rest temp range and this should result in higher quantities of fermentable sugars and therefore a beer that is more dry and higher in alcohol content than the same mash at a higher sugar rest temp (like 155*)

You shouldn't have a problem with tannins (they become an issue when you mash-out for a prolonged period at a temp above 170), but it will definitely affect your beer. At 144º, beta-amylase is active and pretty happy, which is able to more thoroughly break down starches in the grain into a form fermentable by the yeast (producing mainly maltose). While beta amylase can't hydrolyse (break down the longer starch molecules into smaller bits) past branches (1,4-glycosidic bonds) in the molecule, of the sugars it processes it'll create very fermentable wort.

Alpha amylase, an enzyme that can break down the 1,4-bonds (but can't break through 1,6-bonds) would also be partially active at 144, and more active at 148 (even though it's ideal is from 149 to 158). The alpha would break the branch points, giving the beta more stuff to gnosh on. The end result is that you'll have a very fermentable wort and end up with a (relatively) low final gravity, i.e. a beer that is more dry and will have less head retention.

Flavor shouldn't be affected too much beyond the impact on alcohol and unfermentable sugars, though. RDWHAHB :mug:

Excellent page describing more about the optimum ranges for the various enzymes: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-1.html

Back