Mash temps all over the place...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
Is it common place to have different temp readings in different areas of your mash tun? And if so, how do you deal with it?

As I sit here mashing todays brew in a converted 10 gal cooler, I'm finding that my mash tun has a different temp for each corner... +/- 10 degress... So, as I try and maintain 154, I have one corner that's 163 another thats 150, etc...

Should I just average it out and stop worrying?

:confused:

When that happens, it usually means you didn't stir your mash enough. I keep stirring until I get consistent readings at every location and depth in the mash. May take 5 min. or so. Also, if you're using a round cooler, the tall shape makes it more difficult to stir thoroughly.

I mash-in a few degrees hotter than my software recommends, so after 4-5 minutes of stirring I hit my mash temp, started as an error on my part, but it worked out by stirring the hell out of it to drop the mash temp, I also get the mash temp evened out and have had good efficency thus far. (this will all go to hell tomorrow when I brew 10 gal of hefe for our halloween party)

Initially, I had the same issue with my cooler MLT. Folks suggested that I pour the strike water into the MLT first, let it sit for 5-10 mins to get the tun heated up, then pour in the grains. At that point, the only temp drops are from the absorption of the grain... the cooler has already absorbed all the heat it is going to. The result was much more consistant temps when I read in the middle, near the edge, etc.

In addition, you can measure how much heat your cooler MLT drains out of the strike water so you can better adjust for that drop.

Starting a few degrees high and stirring well to drop temp & even out mash consistency & temps is a great idea too!

Good luck!
--LexusChris

Thanks guys. Again, great advice!

I'm doing another batch today and think I'll mix it up a bit technique wise...

As I type, I'm boiling my water for pre-heating my MLT. I think today I'll add my heated strike water to my MLT, measure my temp shooting for a few degrees higher, then add my grains... I'll report back :mug:

Thanks guys. Again, great advice!

I'm doing another batch today and think I'll mix it up a bit technique wise...

As I type, I'm boiling my water for pre-heating my MLT. I think today I'll add my heated strike water to my MLT, measure my temp shooting for a few degrees higher, then add my grains... I'll report back :mug:

You are adding an additional step, you can simplify it a little

Heat your strike water to strike temp +10-15F and put it in your MLT

Let it heat the MLT and water cool to strike temp.

Mash in.

This way you are not heaing separate water, dumping it and still not sure of the actual temp of your MLT.

With this process, you at least know that your MLT is the same as your strike, one less variable.

Great point... I should have realized I could use the strike water to pre-heat as well as mash with... Doh!

Great point... I should have realized I could use the strike water to pre-heat as well as mash with... Doh!

Next time, give it a try... You will save a step and more thoroughly (and precisely) heat your MLT.

I've taken to preheating the MLT with hot tap water while my strike water heats. It will only preheat to a few degrees below the tap water temp, but it's alot less to overcome when you dough in. I like doing it this way because I don't have to worry about trying to maintain the strike water temperature while the MLT heats, it saves a little time since you're doing both simultaneously, and it's less work which appeals to my laziness.

Latest posts

Back