Mash temp, did I already screw it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
Deep Dark Wheat....mash supposed to be 152.... I heated to there, aggitated and covered. Uncovered 10 minutes later to aggitate and it was at 158/159. So it was too high for several minutes. Quickly got ice into it and got it back down.
Am I already screwed with the buttescotch taste? I have had that before with a disfunctional thermometer...don't want it again! Dammit.

No, your fine. Relax! Just don't mash higher than 160-165, and your all good. Also, the butterscotch taste your referring to, could come from too high fermentation temps.

OK!!! Thanks!!! My thermometer probably screwed that up too!!! Have several butterscotch tasting beers!!! Now, my therm is accurate...so hoping for better results!!!!

"Butterscotch" flavors tend to come from stressed yeast, or from contamination/infection. The mash temperature will be fine, and not give any off flavors from being in the high 150s for a time. As long as you didn't get up to 165ish for a while (which would denature the enzymes), it should convert just fine.

If you've had butterscotch flavors in other beers, addressing that would be a good idea. It could be from diacetyl, which is a byproduct of yeast. If that is the case, making sure to pitch enough yeast (one vial or package of liquid yeast isn't enough usually), at the proper temperature (ideally 65 degrees or so) and keep it under 70 degrees during fermentation. That will really help.

The other cause of diacetyl is contamination, and proper sanitation will take care of that issue.

I'm guessing its fermentation. Not sure. The butterscotch usually hasn't shown up until after the bottles are in the fridge for a few weeks.

Back