Mash pH with stouts/porters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuda6pak

Reaction score
The literature and online reading I've seen all point towards the higher end of the mash pH range for stouts/porters/darker beers (5.4-5.7). I also throw my roasted grains in at the end of the mash for mashout, thus to not bring about a "burnt coffee" sort of flavor that Gordon Strong talked about in his book as well as others when mashing with dark roasted grains for a full mash period.

So, my question is when brewing say a stout, in which you keep basically all of your roasted grains out of the actual mash and save them for mashout, do you target the actual pH of the mash (sans roasted grains) on the far end of the spectrum at 5.4-5.7 and ignore the pH change once the roasted grains are added for mashout? Basically, are you actually targeting a specific mash pH or do you need to account for the roasted grains affect on the overall finished pH of the wort?

Hope that makes sense. (I build my water up from R.O. and use Bru'n Water)

We set our hot liquor at a ph of 5.8. We then check it during the mash and it's usually between 5.0 and 5.4. If we use dark malt then we set it at 6.0 before the mash to end up in the same range. Since you're waiting to put your dark malts in, you should be good at 5.8.

I'll start by saying that I don't with hold the dark grains because I don't get any "coffee that's been in the carafe overnight at the office" flavor (quoting Gordon there) but rather the pleasant iced coffee kinds of flavors I enjoy in a glass of stout.

If you do choose to mash with the roasted grains with held you are essentially mashing base malt without a source of acid and mash pH will be high especially if the water has any alkalinity to speak of. In the case of the stout I brewed tuesday that would have been about 7.1 (which is what I measured before the roast barley kicked in which took quite a long time). I would suppose that a beer made with pH too high because of with held roast malts would suffer from the same malaise as any other beer IOW I don't see how acidifying after the mash (by adding the roast grains then) is going to makeup for these shortcomings.

This suggests that you would want to supply the needed acid from another source equivalent to the acid which would otherwise be supplied by the roast grains in order to get proper conversion of the base (and other, if any, specialty malts). The potential problem now is that adding the roast grains now may push the wort (kettle) pH too low. If it stays above 5 you should be OK but stout worts tend to come in at about 5.2 without extra acid. If you do go under 5 you could, of course, compensate (and quickly) by adding sodium bicarbonate to the kettle.

cuda6pak - can you please provide some clue (or link) as to what the literature says about the reason why stouts should be mashed at a ph any different to other styles of beer ?

I have seen this mentioned a few times - normally for stouts - but end up at a dead end whenever I ask why they should be mashed differently (normally higher ph). I cannot think of any reason but would love to be enlightened.

By the way, have you considered adding a portion of your dark grain (eg half) at the start of the mash to get the ph down a bit and then the rest at the end to avoid whatever flavour it is you want to try and avoid had you mashed all the dark grains for the entire mash ? Seems to me that you would kill two birds with one stone, or at least injure them both somewhat.

I normally add all my dark grains in for the full mash. I did try adding them all at then end once but it didn't turn out as nice. Similar but almost like I had just added less in total for the entire mash. I might try a 50/50 approach next time.

I'll start by saying that I don't with hold the dark grains because I don't get any "coffee that's been in the carafe overnight at the office" flavor (quoting Gordon there) but rather the pleasant iced coffee kinds of flavors I enjoy in a glass of stout.

If you do choose to mash with the roasted grains with held you are essentially mashing base malt without a source of acid and mash pH will be high especially if the water has any alkalinity to speak of. In the case of the stout I brewed tuesday that would have been about 7.1 (which is what I measured before the roast barley kicked in which took quite a long time). I would suppose that a beer made with pH too high because of with held roast malts would suffer from the same malaise as any other beer IOW I don't see how acidifying after the mash (by adding the roast grains then) is going to makeup for these shortcomings.

This suggests that you would want to supply the needed acid from another source equivalent to the acid which would otherwise be supplied by the roast grains in order to get proper conversion of the base (and other, if any, specialty malts). The potential problem now is that adding the roast grains now may push the wort (kettle) pH too low. If it stays above 5 you should be OK but stout worts tend to come in at about 5.2 without extra acid. If you do go under 5 you could, of course, compensate (and quickly) by adding sodium bicarbonate to the kettle.

I use phosphoric acid 85% or lactic acid 88% to lower my mash pH. So lowering it without roasted grains/specialty malts is not hard. So in doing the method I spoke about while targeting a mash pH around 5.8 with just mashing the base malts - do I need to account for the future addition of the roasted/specialty grains late in the mash thus targeting higher than 5.8? Or am I just supposed to target 5.8 with the actual base malt mash and ignore the addition of the roasted/specialty grains at the end?

cuda6pak - can you please provide some clue (or link) as to what the literature says about the reason why stouts should be mashed at a ph any different to other styles of beer ?

I have seen this mentioned a few times - normally for stouts - but end up at a dead end whenever I ask why they should be mashed differently (normally higher ph). I cannot think of any reason but would love to be enlightened.

By the way, have you considered adding a portion of your dark grain (eg half) at the start of the mash to get the ph down a bit and then the rest at the end to avoid whatever flavour it is you want to try and avoid had you mashed all the dark grains for the entire mash ? Seems to me that you would kill two birds with one stone, or at least injure them both somewhat.

I normally add all my dark grains in for the full mash. I did try adding them all at then end once but it didn't turn out as nice. Similar but almost like I had just added less in total for the entire mash. I might try a 50/50 approach next time.

Gordon Strong talks about it in his book "Brewing Better Beer" and I've heard about it on several podcasts with John Palmer and I think possibly Jamil. It's not a comprehensive rule, just a suggestion that it makes for more of a smoother roasted flavor rather than a harsh "coffee that's been in the carafe overnight at the office" type flavor in some peoples opinions.

Please understand that Gordon brews exclusively with RO or distilled water since his tap water in Dayton is fairly hard and alkaline. While that tap water could actually be suited for stout and porter brewing, its not well suited for other beers. So Gordon apparently follows AJ's advice to always start with RO. Worthwhile advice that works in many brewing situations, but not all. The recommendation to reserve roast grains from the main mash is an important need when brewing with low alkalinity water.

Failing to either neutralize the roast acidity with mashing water alkalinity or reserve that roast from the main mash will diminish the resulting beer flavor and perception. The beer will end up a little more tart and acidic if there isn't enough alkalinity and I find that those roast flavors are harsher. Many brewers have found that roast flavors do become smoother as the kettle wort pH is pushed up into the 5.6 range. The one outlier to that pH recommendation is for Irish Dry Stout which should have a crisp acidic bite to compliment the roast barley and raw barley flavors that are also signatures of that style.

For most dark beer brewing, including enough alkalinity in the mashing water tends to produce better flavored beers. Cuda mentions boosting the main mash pH to 5.8 and I'm assuming that is to provide some accommodation for the subsequent pH reduction when the roast is added late. That might work, however the potential for a little tannin extraction from the grain MAY be a possibility. I don't think its a great possibility, but the brewer should be aware that its possible.

Please understand that Gordon brews exclusively with RO or distilled water since his tap water in Dayton is fairly hard and alkaline. While that tap water could actually be suited for stout and porter brewing, its not well suited for other beers. So Gordon apparently follows AJ's advice to always start with RO. Worthwhile advice that works in many brewing situations, but not all. The recommendation to reserve roast grains from the main mash is an important need when brewing with low alkalinity water.

Failing to either neutralize the roast acidity with mashing water alkalinity or reserve that roast from the main mash will diminish the resulting beer flavor and perception. The beer will end up a little more tart and acidic if there isn't enough alkalinity and I find that those roast flavors are harsher. Many brewers have found that roast flavors do become smoother as the kettle wort pH is pushed up into the 5.6 range. The one outlier to that pH recommendation is for Irish Dry Stout which should have a crisp acidic bite to compliment the roast barley and raw barley flavors that are also signatures of that style.

For most dark beer brewing, including enough alkalinity in the mashing water tends to produce better flavored beers. Cuda mentions boosting the main mash pH to 5.8 and I'm assuming that is to provide some accommodation for the subsequent pH reduction when the roast is added late. That might work, however the potential for a little tannin extraction from the grain MAY be a possibility. I don't think its a great possibility, but the brewer should be aware that its possible.

Thanks Martin. I always brew with 100% R.O. water strictly so I know exactly what I'm working with. My Mash pH of 5.8 was just an example.

I think I will try this brew with a target pH of 5.6 with all grains thrown in from the beginning and see how it works. The last time I brewed this porter (Founder's clone) was when I only filtered my water and did not worry about mash pH.

Please understand that Gordon brews exclusively with RO or distilled water since his tap water in Dayton is fairly hard and alkaline. While that tap water could actually be suited for stout and porter brewing, its not well suited for other beers. So Gordon apparently follows AJ's advice to always start with RO.
Gordon was smart enough to figure out that this is a good idea on his own.

Worthwhile advice that works in many brewing situations, but not all.
It works in all cases provided the synthesized water meets the requirements. The brewer can synthesize pretty much anything he likes so if he needs alkalinity (which he rarely does) he adds alkalinity. The fact that he is starting with RO does not preclude his ability to do that nor does it relieve him of the responsibility of doing that if it is necessary.

The recommendation to reserve roast grains from the main mash is an important need when brewing with low alkalinity water.
IMO that's nonsense for the reasons I have set out in a previous post in this thread. If you are getting 'overnight in the coffee pot' harshness you are either using too much roast material or mishandling it or the maltster mishandled it. It's only in the mash for an hour plus sparge time which wouldn't seem to allow for 'overnight in the coffee pot' reactions to take place. I will, however, acknowledge that this is my opinion and also note that Guiness does (or did) extract the dark grain separately at their St James Gate facility but not at Park Royal. This latter contradicts the statement that this practice is 'an important need' with low akalinity water as London water is (per Lewis) lower in alkalinity (4.10 mVal) than Dublin (5.45). But note that both those values are much higher than 9% roast barley could neutralize even with a pretty stiff mash so both breweries must decarbonate.

Failing to either neutralize the roast acidity with mashing water alkalinity or reserve that roast from the main mash will diminish the resulting beer flavor and perception.
This has certainly not been my experience.

The beer will end up a little more tart and acidic if there isn't enough alkalinity and I find that those roast flavors are harsher.
Beer pH is set mostly by the yeast. I won't say mash pH has nothing to do with it - no feedback regulation system is perfect but the effect is minor.

Stout pH is at the low end of typical beer pH values at 4.21 ± 0.17 (one standard deviation) based on 21 commercial stouts measured by Michael Lewis and 2 of mine for which I collected complete data. The distribution is peaked about the mean but is otherwise pretty uniform. There is no correlation between pH and, for example, OG. Correlating the above data sets of pH and OG values gives a correlation coefficient of 0.09 which means that 99% of the variation in pH is caused by things other than the OG of the beer. Put another way there is a 34% chance that completely uncorrelated data could give us a coefficient as high as 0.09 (we say we are confident in the 0.09 value at the 34% level - 5% or less is considered good.)

Many brewers have found that roast flavors do become smoother as the kettle wort pH is pushed up into the 5.6 range.
Given that the recommendations in most texts are 5.0 - 5.2, that I brew stouts with kettle pH at 5.2 and they have none of the qualities attributed to insufficient alkalinity I'll have to call BS on that one.

The one outlier to that pH recommendation is for Irish Dry Stout which should have a crisp acidic bite to compliment the roast barley and raw barley flavors that are also signatures of that style.
Except that dry stouts don't have exceptionally low pH. They fall right around the average at 4.2. Other, richer stouts have pH lower than that, all the way down to 3.89 (two Samuel Smith beers). I believe that a lot of people think that tartness is mainly a function of pH and that may indeed be the case with inorganic acids but with these carboxylic organic acids that we are concerned with in brewing the cations have lots of flavor and I believe it is these anions that are responsible for the tartness of dry stouts.

When I wrote that I thought it seemed reasonable but I wasn't sure so I made solutions of HCl, HTart, HLac, and HMal of sufficient strength to bring pH to 3.0. With the hydrochloric acid the sourness was barely perceptible. Perhaps this is because of the sweetening effect of the chloride ion. There was certainly nothing you could call a flavor. The tartaric acid solution didn't taste very sour either but was definitely more sour than the HCl and had a flavor of sorts which was different from pure sour for sure and seemed to have a drying (astringent) component to it. The lactic was slightly more sour tasting than the tartaric and the drying feeling was there too. The flavor (the quality of the sour?) was definitely stronger. The malic, as all the wine makers here will have already guessed, had the strongest impression of sourness and the strongest flavor which one might imagine could get to 'bite' level if strengthened but at this level the solution would at best be called a bit sour. I hope some readers will try this experiment and I hope we can put to bed this notion that if the beer pH creeps low by 0.1 it will take on harsh sourness. It isn't, apparently, the hydrogen ion at all that is responsible for the sensation at food pH levels but rather the attending cation(s).

For most dark beer brewing, including enough alkalinity in the mashing water tends to produce better flavored beers.
I can only say, then, that my dark beers are not among 'most' beers but I have not experimented intentionally with beers mashed at high pH to see if they get noticeably worse. But putting my taste test together with the Lewis data I am beginning to suspect that these arguments are like the ones advanced in earlier days that CDs could never be as good as vinyl (I think there are some people who still believe that).

I was going to put some numbers RE the stout I have in the fermenter now as they may add some insight into what people are thinking about here but I'll do that in a separate post.

Can I bump this one? I just did..
I'm curious about why darker beers "should" be mashed at a higher pH. Is it to balance with the percieved acidity from roasted malts?

The pH drop caused by roasted malts are accounted for in pH-calc spreadsheets. So it must be taste-wise?

If you mash at 5.2 you mash at 5.2, but why should darker beers be mashed at 5.4-5.6-ish? Is it to not make them sharpish-thinnish, as "all" dark beer references are pretty much full body?

The bottom line is that most dark beers 'taste' better when their pH is slightly higher than typical for pale beers. The roast flavors are softer and rounder instead of sharp and acrid. You are free to mash where you prefer, but experience by thousands of brewers suggest that you'll like the result better at a slightly higher pH.

I dislike acidic porters and stouts. I have tasted many commercial examples -- ick. Aiming for the high end on mash pH should prevent this from occurring in your homebrew. I know someone will come along and say "yeah but Guinness purposely sours part of their batch" blah blah blah. Yeah but their finished beer doesn't taste sour either, does it. They're probably mashing at an elevated pH is my guess, otherwise it would be sour city.

Guinness purposely sours part of their batch" blah blah blah. Yeah but their finished beer doesn't taste sour either, does it.
Well yeah, it does to me. That combination of tartness and coffee are what makes it the refreshing drink it is.

They're probably mashing at an elevated pH is my guess, otherwise it would be sour city.
Again (I just did so in another post) I'll emphasize that beer pH is largely independent of mash pH being determined mostly by the yeast strain used.

Again (I just did so in another post) I'll emphasize that beer pH is largely independent of mash pH being determined mostly by the yeast strain used.

Actually, this is not entirely true and is proven in multiple journal articles. While yeast do ultimately set the beer pH, it's apparent from the analytical results that yeast's capacity to acidify their environment is limited. Final beer pH TENDS to mirror the initial wort pH. Higher wort pH does tend to result in higher pH beer.

The statement 'beer pH is independent of wort pH' is not entirely true. It isn't true at all. You need to think about the yeast as a part of a control system with feedback. The yeast will produce acid until their preferred 'set point' is reached. If they can't they won't reach SP. A thermostat can't bring a room to 70 if the exfiltrated heat is greater than the heat source the system can provide to that room. A pass transistor voltage regulator can't produce 5 volts if fed with 4. Similarly the yeast can't get to their set points if they have what they need to produce more acid and, like other regulators, perform best when PV is close to SP i.e. if wort pH is close to preferred pH. Higher wort pH (or actually high wort pH with high alkalinity) does produce a stress with the result that the final pH is higher. I well remember the slide I saw at an MBAA conference which first introduced me to the concept, which struck me as it is intuitively quite pleasing, that yeast are the major factor in beer pH. It just makes sense. I've never seen literature that contradicts this but then I haven't been looking for it.

Now I don't what people to think that I am saying that they shouldn't worry about wort pH because the yeast will correct for excessively high pH/alkalinity. That's obviously not true and the explanation lies in the simple fact that we want the yeast to be fermenting sugar and producing the metabolites associated with fermentation not producing acid and the metabolites associated with acid production.

I'm brewing a stout this weekend using RO water and I'd appreciate input on an idea.

I'm thinking about mashing in low mineral content water, perhaps just 0.1g/L CaCl2 added. This puts the mash and sparge water at around 28mg/L Ca and 52mg/L Cl. This way I can avoid or at least reduce the need to add alkalinity in the form of baking soda. I'd add the remaining CaCl2 to the brew kettle.

Will this low mineral mash and sparge compromise the coverversion process and quality of the final beer in any way?

While I'm not surprised that there wasn't much difference in the pH's I am surprised that most tasters couldn't distinguish the beers.
That's pretty much his thing. Honestly, untreated mud puddle water, mashed in some crazy fashion then fermented hot with an underpitch of sketchy yeast and epically oxidized during packaging would skate right past his review cohort...

Cheers!

I'm brewing a stout this weekend using RO water and I'd appreciate input on an idea.

I'm thinking about mashing in low mineral content water, perhaps just 0.1g/L CaCl2 added. This puts the mash and sparge water at around 28mg/L Ca and 52mg/L Cl. This way I can avoid or at least reduce the need to add alkalinity in the form of baking soda. I'd add the remaining CaCl2 to the brew kettle.

Assuming that the total desired CaCl2 addition would be twice this (56 mg/L Ca++ and 104 Cl-) I think you need not worry about the effect of the calcium. Assuming a 10 °P target and the more or less standard 80/10/10 mash estimated mash pH will be about 5.56 with no added calcium. Most first generation spreadsheets will tell you that calcium at the level of 0.2 mg/L will drop this to 5.53 based on Kolbach's observations on knockout wort pH. In fact the drop is going to be less than that as we know wort pH continues to drop in the kettle because of further calcium reaction. Thus the drop in the mash must be less. That aside, either 5.56 or 5.53 will make a nice stout. If you want to knock out the calcium's effect anyway it would take but 0.37 gram NaHCO3 to do so.

Will this low mineral mash and sparge compromise the coverversion process and quality of the final beer in any way?
No, I don't think it would. 28 mg/L calcium is plenty.

Honestly, untreated mud puddle water, mashed in some crazy fashion then fermented hot with an underpitch of sketchy yeast and epically oxidized during packaging would skate right past his review cohort...

Time to remind everyone yet again that a triangle test (and therefore, presumably, the procedure that Brulosophy uses which has some resemblance to a triangle test) are tests of the panel much more so than they are a test of the beer. Commercial outfits use them to tell whether a demographic they are interested in selling to will buy their beer.

Assuming that the total desired CaCl2 addition would be twice this (56 mg/L Ca++ and 104 Cl-) I think you need not worry about the effect of the calcium. Assuming a 10 °P target and the more or less standard 80/10/10 mash estimated mash pH will be about 5.56 with no added calcium. Most first generation spreadsheets will tell you that calcium at the level of 0.2 mg/L will drop this to 5.53 based on Kolbach's observations on knockout wort pH. In fact the drop is going to be less than that as we know wort pH continues to drop in the kettle because of further calcium reaction. Thus the drop in the mash must be less. That aside, either 5.56 or 5.53 will make a nice stout. If you want to knock out the calcium's effect anyway it would take but 0.37 gram NaHCO3 to do so.

No, I don't think it would. 28 mg/L calcium is plenty.
Thanks AJ.

Just a follow-up on mashing a stout with low mineral content water.

I followed through on this, reserving all of the CaCl2 for the BK and adding just small amounts of gypsum and epsom to the mash and sparge, along with 1.0g of baking soda to the mash only (23L/6 gallon batch). I nailed 5.52 spot on, it converted well in about 90 minutes (thick 1qt/lb mash), and tastes great after fermentation. I'm actually surprised at just how smooth it is after just two weeks in primary, despite including 10% roasted grains.

Anyway, using low mineral water turned out really well for me and I will continue this procedure going forward. Thanks again, AJ.

EDIT: after checking my notes, that's 1.2g baking soda, and 5.49 pH.

Last edited:
Back