Mash pH does not go down after dough-in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaspersound

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have a problem reduce mash pH when the grains are in.
My water has 93 ppm HC03 and I have to use some acid to reduce pH for mash. When I add 0.13 ml/L of 80% lactic acid to my tap water, according to Brun, I can reduce pH almost spot on. But when I add the grain, I need tons of acid just to go down 0.1.

With 0.13ml/L I can go down from 7.50 base pH to 6.38 pH @ 23 C. (No problem).
Then, I added grain to 45 C, which makes it 5.66 pH @ 23 C after 10min infusion. So, in addition I need 0.05 mg/L of lactic acid to go down to 5.20 pH. But the grain addition makes it impossible to lower pH?? I have to add TONS of acid just to go to 5.50 ?? I mix everything very very well..

Grain bill: Wheat pale 70%, Pilsner 24%, Wheat blanc 3%, Munich 3%.

Hello guys,

I have a problem reduce mash pH when the grains are in.
My water has 93 ppm HC03 and I have to use some acid to reduce pH for mash. When I add 0.13 ml/L of 80% lactic acid to my tap water, according to Brun, I can reduce pH almost spot on. But when I add the grain, I need tons of acid just to go down 0.1.

With 0.13ml/L I can go down from 7.50 base pH to 6.38 pH @ 23 C. (No problem).
Then, I added grain to 45 C, which makes it 5.66 pH @ 23 C after 10min infusion. So, in addition I need 0.05 mg/L of lactic acid to go down to 5.20 pH. But the grain addition makes it impossible to lower pH?? I have to add TONS of acid just to go to 5.50 ?? I mix everything very very well..

Grain bill: Wheat pale 70%, Pilsner 24%, Wheat blanc 3%, Munich 3%.

The software makes an estimate for your mash pH. If you measure the pH over the course of your mash, you may find that it goes down more. Try measuring at 30 and 60 minutes. Generally you don't adjust the pH once you have mashed in; instead you make notes to modify additions for next time.

What are you using to measure pH?

Thanks for a reply! I use a pH meter, calibrated. 0.00

Probably that is why I should not adjust (add acid) after dough-in and during mash. Makes the reading still, even with excessive amounts of acid..

I should shoot for 5.20 pH before dough-in and hope grain will not raise to 5.66...
Or maybe 5.00 pH and hope 5.20 after dough-in?

I use the bru’n water program to estimate pH. Your grain bill will play heavy into your water treatments. Lighter color beers may need more acid, while darker color beers may need more base to get the pH where you want it.

I always prep my mash water with brewing salts and acid while heating it to strike temp. Let the minerals and acid dissolve completely before mashing in. Don’t worry about the pH before adding grains. Check pH after about 15 minutes.

Just for example I used about 6mL of acid in my last 12 gallon batch. I should have used more, but it was my miscalculation when I got the color of the grain wrong in the software.

Thanks for a reply! I use a pH meter, calibrated. 0.00

Probably that is why I should not adjust (add acid) after dough-in and during mash. Makes the reading still, even with excessive amounts of acid..

I should shoot for 5.20 pH before dough-in and hope grain will not raise to 5.66...
Or maybe 5.00 pH and hope 5.20 after dough-in?

The pH of the water is not something you need to worry about for mash pH, the alkalinity and to a lesser extent the other dissolved ions matter. The grain bill will have a big effect on the mash pH, too. I recommend using software to estimate mash pH so that you can make better additions to your mash.

Back