Mash ph and efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
Just wondering. I typically get 80-82% efficiency. How much difference will I get by dialing in my mash ph??

Also, I know macro breweries get 90% +. What do small micro and Nano breweries get?

You'll probably get between 80 and 82% efficiency if you get your pH just right. You might improve the flavor of your beer if your original pH was off by a lot.

Im usually 80-82% now. I ordered a ph meter. I guess next time i will see if it helps.

Seems to me you've probably been lucky and your pH was already 5.2-5.5 without measurement, so then your efficiency won't change at all. It will only improve if pH was far off.

My experience is that pH does not make a difference in efficiency. pH makes a big difference in flavor.

Interesting, as it seemed to have made a rather large difference in my efficiency. I went from making a 6.2% IPA to a 7% IPA with no changes whatsoever to the recipe/process except for dialing in mash pH. Brewhouse efficiency went from <65% to >70% with nothing more than some Lactic acid additions.

Back