Mash paddle: Use for mash-in and boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vb4677

Reaction score
Got a cool, long wooden paddle I had intended on using for mash-in, but after last nights "Battle of the Boilover" with my shorter stainless spoon, I got to wondering if anyone uses their paddle as a stirrer in the boil kettle. I figure a quick rinse ought to do it. Thoughts?

Thanks - I couldn't think of anything too wrong with using it with both, but you never know with this crazy hobby! As for using FermCap, I used that a lot while I was still extract brewing, but once I moved to all-grain, I got a 16g kettle and haven't had a boilover... until Tuesday evening. It was more of a 'froth over' with just a couple of splashes down the sides. Nevertheless, I was steamy, sweaty and my hand got reminded not to get too close to the boil a couple of times with my spoon. My new 42" wooden paddle ought to keep that from ever happening again!

Although you should be able to use the mash paddle in the boil kettle, it does need to be immersed for a few minutes (5-10?) into the boiling wort to get hot enough to kill all (lacto) bacteria that made it into the wood pores. Pay especially attention to the handle area, as that usually stays above the wort, but is still covered in raw wort.

I've also used my mash paddle to stir the boiling wort, it's nice and sturdy and comfortable to hold. But always feared some tenacious bugs may get transferred when the wort has cooled.

Although you should be able to use the mash paddle in the boil kettle, it does need to be immersed for a few minutes (5-10?) into the boiling wort to get hot enough to kill all (lacto) bacteria that made it into the wood pores. Pay especially attention to the handle area, as that usually stays above the wort, but is still covered in raw wort.

I've also used my mash paddle to stir the boiling wort, it's nice and sturdy and comfortable to hold. But always feared some tenacious bugs may get transferred when the wort has cooled.

This would only matter if you're using the paddle post boil. If you're using it only during the boil, any lacto on the paddle that gets into the wort will be killed during the boil.

Wooden mash paddles are cool, but why not avoid the bug issue entirely by getting one of these whisks? They're cheap ($12,) Stainless Steel, plenty long enough to keep your hand(s) away from hot wort, and double nicely to stir your mash.
:mug:

41sPJrnHioL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This would only matter if you're using the paddle post boil. If you're using it only during the boil, any lacto on the paddle that gets into the wort will be killed during the boil.

That's true. But an oversight there could cause trouble. Like stirring during chilling.

Occasionally I do step mashes in my (boil) kettle, followed by a mashout for 10', and dump the lot into my cooler mash tun for lautering. I then rinse the empty kettle, paying special attention to clean the rim and the top 2" area that tends to stay above the wort level, before filling it with wort. It's probably overkill, as 1000s of BIAB brewers can testify.

Yeah, I have a totally separate process for chilling, where I would not be using my paddle or spoon. So, the paddle would only be for mash in and boil.

As for the whisk - I like the sound of it, but not the length. 24 inches is how long my spoon is... and I need to get further away from the heat.

Wooden mash paddles are cool, but why not avoid the bug issue entirely by getting one of these whisks? They're cheap ($12,) Stainless Steel, plenty long enough to keep your hand(s) away from hot wort, and double nicely to stir your mash.
:mug:

As long as you keep it for mashing and other duties that don't require good sanitation, that whip will work great. I'd use a dedicated separate one for aerating wort though.

The handle area is the most prone to trap bugs. The wires enter the handle through perforations in the bottom, where liquids can also enter. There is no way to clean/sanitize inside the handle, except for repeated immersion/drain routines, autoclave, or oven treatment.

I have a 12" version mostly used to aerate my wort at pitching time, and am always worried there may still be bugs lurking in that handle, even when keeping the whole thing submerged under Starsan, almost perpetually. I've not encountered any problems though. I'd say the wort picks up more bugs when whipping it while the lid's off the bucket, with my "sanitized" arm swinging above it.

To take the "art" out of wort oxygenation, I just purchased an oxygen tank.

Yeah, I have a totally separate process for chilling, where I would not be using my paddle or spoon. So, the paddle would only be for mash in and boil.

As for the whisk - I like the sound of it, but not the length. 24 inches is how long my spoon is... and I need to get further away from the heat.

He's using the whisk for mashing, not boiling.

He's using the whisk for mashing, not boiling.
To be honest, I'll use it in the boil too. I do E-BIAB in an 11 gal kettle with only a 110V element, so I never get even close to a boil over. I now use a basket, but when I used a bag, I used these BBQ mitts to squeeze the snot out of it. They could also keep your hands from getting burned.

I absolutely agree with the premise of bugs in the handle. Even though I thoroughly clean and sanitize it, I never use it on the cold side.

+1 on the O2 tank. I use one too.

Mitts.jpg

Latest posts

Back