Mash Paddle Material Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mash Paddle Material

• Maple

• Poplar

• Oak

• White Ash

Results are only viewable after voting.
What are the dimensions of a standard paddle. I know there will be a variance in personal preference but just curious.

Cheers

Any will work if you use the right selection of cut and a waterproof glue if you laminate it.

I recommend Maple because it's a very hard, very closed grain wood that will not impart flavor to the stuff it touches. It can be laminated to resist warping, and can also be cut without laminating if the wood is selected carefully.

For maple I'd go with unfinished wood. Just cut, sand and use. Make sure to rinse and dry when finished using.

I really wanted to cut my own mashpaddle out of some scrap wood I had on hand. The problem is that the band saw at work was broken and I never got around to rewelding the blade. Then I discovered how AWESOME it is to mash in with a WHISK! Even my little kitchen whisk made quick work of the dough balls. I ended up buying a 16" restaurant whisk. Can't wait to try it!

It's not as cool looking as a paddle. I might still do the paddle some day and use it as a wallhanger.

I cut one out of a tree branch that fell in my back yard. It is oak and it does have a small split in the end. It hasn't bothered me. I have another branch, don't know what wood it is, that I am drying in my garage so it won't split.

Back