Mash in a bag in a cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
Decided to go the mash in a bag in a rectangular cooler route (120 qt Coleman) for 15 gallon batches. For those who have done similar, do you need a pickup tube of some sort undernieth the bag? Or is the bag sufficient for good drainage? (minus the bag getting sucked into the outlet port and clogging)

Should I build some sort of CPVC or copper manifold that evenly draws flow from the entire grain bed? Or does everything roll down hill anyways and drain good enough without such manifold?

Thanks 🍻

Whether you worry about even wort flow or not depends more on your lauter process. Fly sparging is really when it matters, batch sparge or full volume/no sparge won't matter in at all. I've never done bag in a cooler, but I'd start without anything unless you there is a lot if liquid that doesn't drain naturally. Check the cooler out with water to see how much is left behind. My cooler only leaves a cup if I put a 2*4 under one end, so I opted with out a pick up.

Should I build some sort of CPVC or copper manifold that evenly draws flow from the entire grain bed? Or does everything roll down hill anyways and drain good enough without such manifold?

Thanks 🍻

I would build something so that it drains the grain bed evenly to prevent channeling. The bag is great at keeping grain and stuff out of your wort going into the brew kettle, but if it's only draining from a one inch hole at one end, it won't drain the other end very efficiently.

When I used a bag in my rectangular cooler MLT, I just pulled it up out of the cooler to drain the wort. I did not do full volume mashes. I did a batch sparge, so my process was this:

Put bag in cooler
Add strike water for mash (not full volume)
Mash for desired time
Hoist bag and drain the cooler
Lower bag into cooler and add sparge water
Stir like a madman
Hoist bag and drain the cooler.

My cooler had a small channel where the drain was, so I made a "dip tube" out of SS elbow to pick up almost every last drop. When done draining, I had maybe 3 fluid oz of liquid in my cooler.

It should be noted that my cooler would not drain with the bag in. I think it was doing what you mentioned....sucking the bag into the drain port.

Just got my WIlser bag. Fits great, and looking forward to the upcoming first brew. 🍻

mashbagcooler.jpg

I don’t use a pick up tube in mine, a 55qt cooler. I converted to an ss ball valve with 1/2 nipple but that’s about it. I batch sparge or full volume mash depending on the beer and if I want thick or thin mash. I typically hit 75-80% which is fine by me.

I have occasionally observed some channeling, especially with the full volume mashes where there is excess mash liquid sitting above the grain bed. To combat this I just tip the cooler back a bit. I Assume .1g/lb for mash losses, and I typically have to squeeze a tiny bit to get my intended volume. I’m not a super stickler for volume tho. My kettle has gallon markings only so I do by best to measure half gallons and occasionally quarter gallons.

I mill to .028 when using just barley and drop to .025 when milling oat malt

I finally was able to brew with the cooler/bag setup. I ended up building a 3/4” cpvc manifold undernieth the bag. Very happy with the way things worked out. Hit all my numbers, no stuck sparge, 2 degree drop in cooler over 90 minute mash (95 degrees outside). Simple.

Recipe:
25 lb 2-row
1 lb Munich
2.5 lb flaked wheat
2.5 lb flaked oats
17 gallons h2o full volume no sparge
-90 minute mash @149F

60 minute boil
10 min: 2 oz Idaho 7
Whirlpool:
3.5 oz Idaho 7
2 oz Mosaic