Mash Efficiency, first time measured

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've completed 5 batches of AG brewing (Batch Sparge), and last weekend I calculated my efficiency for the first time.

I think the first AG batch I did, I was probably at 50% or lower. :mad: Since then I started grinding my own and watching temps closer, I have noticed a significant difference.

I made a 10 gallon batch and got 84.6% extraction. :) How respectable is that? Should I try to tweak things and get into the 90's or is it not worth it? I'm fairly new to Mash efficiencies.

85% is great. However, you don't want to mess with anything until you find what efficiency you hit consistently. I'm pretty consistent at 85-88%, and there's no reason to do better then that as a homebrewer.

I did notice hot spots throughout the tun, Not sure how to fix those other than just stirring, which I did. But at some point I just say hell with it and let her sit. This was my first attempt at a 10 gallon batch so I'm not sure if that would help or hinder my efficiency.

Back