Marzen/Oktoberfest help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayhalladay

Reaction score
here is my plan/ have already purchased

6lbs Wayermann Pils
2lbs American 2-row
3lbs munich
2lbs vienna
0.25 carapils
I will assume 60% efficiency, BIAB. 152.5 Fahrenheit.

My efficiency has been low on a few of my earlier batches with pils malt so I am using 2-row to increase my diastatic power. Hopefully I can make 65% this time around

I will most like use WLP 820 w/ 1L starter. I also have a pack of S-23, which i do not think will be on point for the style, but just in case.

I have 2oz hallertauer (4.5%) and 3oz Warrior (16.7%) and haven't decided on a hop schedule. I use warrior as my bittering hop in almost everything.

I used the book Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels, and several recipes here for inspiration. If I'm WAY off from a proper Oktoberfest please let me know so I can go to my LHBS before I brew. Thanks!

The recipe you have isn't traditional, but it can work. But first off, your Weyermann Pils shouldn't have any more/less diastatic power than the 2-row. If you're using some type of Bohemian Pils or the like, it could be a different story.

What you can do to increase the caramelization of this beer is do a 90 minute boil, which should be done anyway with the style. I also would increase the mash temp by a degree or two. You want a big malt body.

As for the hops, O-fests should have a low hop profile. Maybe .4oz Warrior for bittering, then 1/4 oz of Hallertauer at 10 minutes.

Thanks for the input. That is basically the hop schedule I was considering anyway. Thanks also for the info on pils, I was going off of what I saw on the internet rating diastatic power and figured the 2-row may help.

I think the 90 min boil is a good idea, should I increase the munich or vienna as well? I could also add melanoiden malt.

again thanks! I (and everyone at my LHBS) make mostly ales here in Arkansas, since I have only been brewing since February, so any info on lager recipes I can get is well received!

If you can, increase the Vienna by 2 pounds, but only if you can scrap the 2-row. Otherwise, just leave it alone. I would skip the Melanoiden, even though I know many recipes call for it.

Always happy to help! We have a great blog post on easy lagers. Please check it out. If nothing else, it's good bathroom reading!

About Oktoberfests:
http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/2013/03/what-should-be-in-your-fermenter-oktoberfest

About easy homebrew lagers:
http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/2013/02/brewing-a-lager-without-all-the-hassle

Back