Marris Otter stand in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokonutz

Reaction score
I'm planning a 20L (5.2gal) White Stout on Thursday. I spun up a 2L starter of Wyeast 1028 today, and then discovered that Marris Otter would not be an option as was originally intended to be the backbone. On hand now, I have:
  • Gambrinus Pale Malt
  • Pilsner (no clue from whom)
  • Gambrinus Munich
  • Crystal 60 (only 2kg )
Any suggestions for a Marris Otter stand in?

here's the recipe to date:
Malts (6.79 kg)
4.753 kg (70%) — (Marris Otter stand in) Gambrinus Pale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 2 SRM
1.019 kg (15%) — Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1 SRM
1.019 kg (15%) — Bairds Vienna Malt — Grain — 3.5 SRM
Hops (35 g)
23 g (36 IBU) — Columbus (Tomahawk) 14% — Boil — 60 min
6 g (3 IBU) — Glacier 5.6% — Boil — 30 min
6 g (1 IBU) — Glacier 5.6% — Boil — 10 min

coffee beans and cocoa will be last 2 days in the fermenter

Pale plus munich is the standard substitute. There are quite a few slightly darker pale malts on the market that come a little closer in my opinion--usually labeled as pale ale malts.

In looking over all my stout recipes I see many 2 row pale malt and some Maris Otter. I think it's what the writer of the recipe had on hand, that's what they used. Similar to British Ales using Lyles Syrup (inverted sugar) instead of another sugar. Lyles was easy to find/was on hand.

Pale plus munich is the standard substitute. There are quite a few slightly darker pale malts on the market that come a little closer in my opinion--usually labeled as pale ale malts.
I think this was the kinda lead I was looking for..... essentially, what can I rough together to get into the ballpark of MO - I'll probably just take a 1/4 Pale out and add 1/4 Munich in - really, I'll likely tell no difference

I think this was the kinda lead I was looking for..... essentially, what can I rough together to get into the ballpark of MO - I'll probably just take a 1/4 Pale out and add 1/4 Munich in - really, I'll likely tell no difference

I see a lot of substitutes for MO with 10-15% munich. Sometimes you'll see people add biscuit but I don't think it's necessary.

Back