Mark your kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
What's the best way to mark the kettle or a stick? Here's what I do now:

I have an 8 cup pyrex measuring cup
I find how many quarts I need for mashing, and I find the equivalent in cups. Let's say 80 cups for mash water.
I fill my pyrex cup 10 times...sometimes losing count...

I tried to make a measuring stick, but it didn't come out correctly. By the time I got to my 6th gallon, it was really about 7.5 gallons. How have you done it?

Thanks!

Except for a little curve right at the bottom, my kettle has straight sides. If I know the total volume that it will hold (20 qts or 5 gallons) I can measure the height and know how many inches per gallon and then just use a tape measure to determine the amount of water or wort I have in it.

Lol...this is the same exact article that prompted me to post this question. He says to use tape to mark it. I'm just wondering how accurate that can be...

I notched my spoon and measure at the pot handle for reference to use the same location on the pot every time. It's primitive but quite accurate.

I used a 2 quart measure to fill my first pot, then marked the outside by gallons withn permanent marker. On my new pot I plan to use the markings on my ale pail to fill the pot, then ding it with a punch or screwdriver.

I used a 2 quart measure to fill my first pot, then marked the outside by gallons withn permanent marker. On my new pot I plan to use the markings on my ale pail to fill the pot, then ding it with a punch or screwdriver.

The markings on ale pails are notorious for being inaccurate. If you just want the quantities in the pot to match your ale pale, have at it. Otherwise, if you want the markings to be accurate measures, use another method.:rockin:

I chose etching. That thread linked above gives step by step instructions on how to do it. I didn't do the best job but I like it (not the best pic either): ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415921397.700467.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a sight glass and I have a 4qt measuring cup for accuracy of large volume measurements. Start measuring at small levels and make sure all your "standards" are correct, measure carefully and with a white board to help keep track of count, and then mark using whatever method works best. I used a notched spoon for years....

The markings on ale pails are notorious for being inaccurate. If you just want the quantities in the pot to match your ale pale, have at it. Otherwise, if you want the markings to be accurate measures, use another method.:rockin:

Since I ferment in an ale pail, the amount of wort matching my fermenter is way more important to me than what the actual volume may be.

I found another good thread on here yesterday. The poster measured a gallon into the gallon container (like milk jug) and marked it with sharpie where the liquid line was. They dumped that into the kettle and then marked that. Continued on until completed. I'm probably going to do that this weekend to see how well that works.

Thanks!

This is on my list of things to do. Right now I've got a calculated volume for where my ports are (top and bottom of each) written on a piece of paper on the fridge. Fancy!

Assuming your pot is cylindrical you can also use that fancy pi*r^2 to find surface area in your kettle. Convert your liquid measure unit of choice into cubic other measurement. Divide one by the other and you'll get X units high for Y volume. Math FTW! It also saves water that may have been used just for marking volume and probably time after the constants are figured out.

I measured out the different volumes I needed lowest to highest and put in my kettle. I then marked my mash paddle. I did this three times to verify the level. I then cut a v notch on the paddle. I just use the paddle to know how much is in the pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I found another good thread on here yesterday. The poster measured a gallon into the gallon container (like milk jug) and marked it with sharpie where the liquid line was. They dumped that into the kettle and then marked that. Continued on until completed. I'm probably going to do that this weekend to see how well that works.

Thanks!

That's what I did, except I used weight to figure out the first gallon.

Latest posts

Back