Maris Otter All Grain BREAD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made SPENT grain bread before and this offers much more flavor than using bland mush...

I thought that was for beer... I guess it sorta is, I made wort, right?

Mash lower?? It was mashed at about 150F I presume

It was 2.5 cups of water and 1.5 cups of 65F grain... yeah, I dont think that is unreasonable to assume. Hell, I didnt measure the mash temp, so we are really talking about nothing at all HA HA

I could pull a cup and a half off my decoction right now and add some flour! I guess my beer can take a small hit in the OG.

SWMBO just ate a quarter of a loaf herself... nice.

Well, I still have my beer.

I tried this once with a cup of pale ale malt.
But I got the amount of water wrong or something.
It overflowed the bread machine and came really dense and sticky.
Tasted good, but the texture was unbearable.
So much for driving without a map.:eek:

But now there's a plan :rockin:

The other thing that occured to me is to do a mashout to make sure
the enzymes don't start converting the flour.

Yeah, so now you have to do it with 2-row, munich, and vienna to determine which is the best bread!

Maybe throw in some choc or crystal in that "mash" to really make something special!

I tried this once with a cup of pale ale malt.
But I got the amount of water wrong or something.
It overflowed the bread machine and came really dense and sticky.
Tasted good, but the texture was unbearable.
So much for driving without a map.:eek:

But now there's a plan :rockin:

The other thing that occured to me is to do a mashout to make sure
the enzymes don't start converting the flour.

Will it convert flour? Will it convert if it is not malted?

It could convert if because there are enough enzymes in the malt, but I wouldn't worry about it. As soon as you put that in the oven, it's not going to convert anything.

Just read every post in this thread and I am talking to the SWMBO about making up some of this stuff over the weekend. Really sounds good. Thanks for the recipe.

Question: How long can you hold steeped or mashed grain if it has been placed into a sanitized container and put in the refrigerator (for use in such a recipe)?

Salute! :mug:

It could convert if because there are enough enzymes in the malt, but I wouldn't worry about it. As soon as you put that in the oven, it's not going to convert anything.

True, but while it's rising it could convert starches or proteins, depending on the temperature.
The knead and rise cycles add up to more than 2.5 hours at 100F or so.

If I wanted to add some Vienna or Munich would I need to decrease the Maris Otter or just add a little more water? Also, when adding a second grain how much should I add?

I'm trying this tomorrow for sure.

Dude, I dunno... I did this completely off the cuff today.

I bake a lot of bread. One thing I do is grind up some caramel malt and just add it to the flour (usually a blend of whole wheat and white). I also substitute liquid malt extract for the sweetener (sugar or honey) in a recipe. Deelalicious my DH likes it
a lot.

I love this forum. It has taught me how to be a better brewer, a darn fine kitchen cleaner, and now it has sent me on the way to baker. What more could a guy ask for. Thanks Pol!

Edit: Oh yeah, and it has also taught me how to love.

dl+hughley.jpg

Back