Manifold Geometry Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerald42

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm just starting to get back into things, and I'm currently trying to build a simple manifold out of flexible copper for my circular cooler.

I'm inclined out of expedience to just make it into a big spiral shape (ie. crimp one end at the center of the pattern, spiral outward to the drain), but it seems like it would create some flow problems.

In your experience, is there some compelling reason not to do this? I'm only doing partial mash batches for now so I only really want ~80% efficiency or something.

Cheers!

Hello folks,

I'm just starting to get back into things, and I'm currently trying to build a simple manifold out of flexible copper for my circular cooler.

I'm inclined out of expedience to just make it into a big spiral shape (ie. crimp one end at the center of the pattern, spiral outward to the drain), but it seems like it would create some flow problems.

In your experience, is there some compelling reason not to do this? I'm only doing partial mash batches for now so I only really want ~80% efficiency or something.

Cheers!

Here is a good read on manifild design and geometry and sparging issues associated with false bottoms and manifolds.

Lautering Equipment False Bottom vs Manifold | Brewer's Friend

5/15 tubing with some holes drilled in it. Been using it for years. I have been getting about 83%.

brewing 005.jpg

I don't know how it works on 5 gallon batches. I do 10 and its full to the top.

David :)

Back