Mangrove Jack's M02 replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshire

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow cidermakers!

Last year I've got really great results with M02 yeast and was disappointed to know that Mangrove Jack's has discontinued the big pack of 100 g.
The packs of 10g are still available, but it gets expensive to buy the needed amount of yeast in that tiny packages.

Does anyone have a suggestion, what can work as a proper replacement and will lead to similar result?

Many thanks!

MJ cider yeast is my favorite as well.

Last season I fermented 25ish gallons using two small packs of MJ cider yeast.
After pressing I freeze my juice in gallon containers. So I would pull a couple of gallons and pitch the yeast. Wait a couple of days and pull more juice out of the freezer. I did use plenty of fermaid-o and a touch of dap. If you have the ability to freeze juice, you may try that.

Have you thought about reusing yeast after a brew?

Actually I've thought about this, but MJ warns that this yeast is not intended to be reused, so I've never tried to (at least yet).
Did you have this experience with this yeast?

The only yeast I have experience with is Wyeast 4766. I have recently reused this yeast once.
I wonder what would make a yeast not intended to be reused? Seems to me all yeast can be reused it's a unicellular organism that does what it does.

The only yeast I have experience with is Wyeast 4766. I have recently reused this yeast once.
I wonder what would make a yeast not intended to be reused? Seems to me all yeast can be reused it's a unicellular organism that does what it does.
It is greed. The manufacturer wants to sell more packages, that's all.

Back in the day wine yeast was pretty cheap. The thought was, it’s cheap and the yeasts are stressed after fermenting in a high abv environment. So just pitch a fresh pack.
With cider, as long as it’s a healthy ferment, you can easily repitch.
I’d recommend using nutrients if you’re gonna use yeast for a few generations.

Thanks! I think I'll try re-pitching after the next "from-the-pack" batch :)

Back