Mangrove Jack's Belgian Wit (M21) Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tieren

Reaction score
HBTers

Just brewed a Belgian Witbier.

Brew went OK, but that's not my issue.

I used Mangrove Jack's Belgian Wit (M21) and the fermentation was odd.

Within 8 hours it was going crazy, but then completely died after about 30 hours. This was at 20-21C.

Gave the wort a stir and it continued to slowly bubble (once every 30-60 seconds) for another 8 hours. At 21-22C.

Then gave it a good shake. Nothing.

Just checked the SG after 4 days and it was at 1.018. Just gave it another stir.

Has anyone else had problems with this yeast?

Is there a better alternative?

Beers

Grant

I havent used that yeast, but have had similar experience with WLP400. Once I actually had to let it rise to 74f for it to start up again. Let it warm up some. It shouldnt give too much off flavor if it is that low a gravity.

Give it a few more days .... I've had gravity readings drop quite a bit after it looked like it wasn't actively fermenting anymore. Careful with the 'good shake' as well, I'd worry about oxidizing things there ...

I just did a wit with this yeast. I came in a bit high with my OG at 1.060. I pitched a little warm at 72 F, then brought it down to 68 after 2 days. 7 days in the primary had it down to 1.004. My only concern is that I'm not getting that slightly sulphur smell as with other wit yeasts I've used. I'm giving it another week at 65 F, and will then bottle. How'd yours turn out flavor wise?

Back