Mango

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slimbiggins

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for mango wine? They sell mango chunks in the frozen section for making smoothies in Walmart. My wheels got to turning. I wonder if SAMs has them in larger quantities?

When I want to look up wine recipes that I am not familiar I check out jack Keller's site. Here are a couple mango recipes of his:

MANGOS

Mangos make a fragrant, golden wine as unmistakably unique as dandelion wine. There are several ways to make it, but only two are discussed here. The first recipe uses the diced fruit. The second uses the juice of the fruit. The two wines taste pretty much the same--delicious.

Mango Wine (1)

3-4 lbs fresh mango
1 lb 13 oz lbs finely granulated sugar
7-1/4 pts water
1-1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
Montrachet or Champagne wine yeast
Put water on to boil. Meanwhile, peel the mangos, cut the flesh away from the large seed, and slice and dice the flesh. Pour diced flesh in nylon straining bag, tie bag and put in primary. Mash the flesh with your hands or a sterilized potato masher or piece of hardwood. Dissolve sugar in boiling water and pour over mashed fruit. Add acid blend, tannin and yeast nutrient. Cover and allow to cool to room temperature. Add pectic enzyme, cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Add yeast and recover the primary. Squeeze bag 2-3 times daily for 10 days. Drip drain bag, squeeze gently to extract extra juice and discard pulp (or use to make a "second wine"). Allow wine to settle overnight, then rack into secondary. Top up and fit airlock. Rack again after 30 days and again every two months for six months. Stabilize, sweeten to taste, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles. Age this wine a year before drinking. Serve chilled or over ice. [Adapted from Terry Garey's The Joy of Home Winemaking]

Mango Wine (2)

4 lbs fresh mango
2-1/2 lbs finely granulated sugar
7-1/4 pts water
1-1/2 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp tannin
Lalvin ICV D-47 (Côtes-du-Rhône) wine yeast
Prepare invert sugar (see button below). Meanwhile, peel the mangos, cut the flesh away from the large seed, and push the flesh through a juicer. Pour juice into primary and add invert sugar, acid blend, tannin, yeast nutrient, and pectic enzyme. Cover and set aside for 12 hours. Add yeast and recover the primary. Ferment until specific gravity drops to 1.010 (about 8 days). Rack into secondary, top up and fit airlock. Rack again after 30 days and again every two months for six months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired, wait 10 days, and rack into bottles. Age one year before drinking. Serve chilled or over ice. [Author's own recipe]

Sans does have the mangos. 4 lbs for $8. I think it's worth it not having to process the fruit. Win

Back