Fruit Beer Mango IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_retzlaff

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast: American Ale 1056
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Gives you the sweet taste of mango, and then hits you with the hops.
Here is a beer that I designed using real Mango. When you first taste it, you will taste the mango, and then the hops hit you, giving you a good all around tasting beer. My buddy really likes this beer, and wants me to make it again, SOON!

Grains:
8 lbs. American 2-row pale malt
1 lbs. American Crystal 20L
1 lbs. Victory Malt
1/2 lbs. Red Wheat
1/2 lbs. White Wheat

Hops:
.25 oz Cascade (60 mins of boil)
.75 oz Amarillo (20 mins of boil)
.75 oz Cascade (20 mins of boil)
.25 oz Simcoe (20 mins of boil)
.75 oz Amarillo (5 mins of boil)
.75 oz Cascade (5 mins of boil)
.75 oz Simcoe (5 mins of boil)
.5 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Crystal (Dry Hop)

Extra:
6 lbs. Fresh Mangos

I cut up the Mangos and froze them when I prepared to brew this beer, and kept them in the freezer until I transferred to secondary.

I mashed the grains at 150 F for 60 mins, and then boiled the wort for 60 min, adding the hops accordingly. I chilled the wort down to 80 F before pitching the yeast. I let it sit the primary for 7 days before transferring to a secondary bucket, and add the defrosted mangos and dry hops. I let it sit in there for 7 more days before transferring it over to a carboy and cold crashed at 34 F for 7 more days. I then brought it up to room temp before filtering it and transferring it to keg.

The picture I attached doesn't do it much justice, but the head was a bright white and thick. It followed the glass all the way down.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

IMG_20150214_175358861[1].jpg

Here is a beer that I designed using real Mango. When you first taste it, you will taste the mango, and then the hops hit you, giving you a good all around tasting beer. My buddy really likes this beer, and wants me to make it again, SOON!

Grains:
8 lbs. American 2-row pale malt
1 lbs. American Crystal 20L
1 lbs. Victory Malt
1/2 lbs. Red Wheat
1/2 lbs. White Wheat

Hops:
.25 oz Cascade (60 mins of boil)
.75 oz Amarillo (20 mins of boil)
.75 oz Cascade (20 mins of boil)
.25 oz Simcoe (20 mins of boil)
.75 oz Amarillo (5 mins of boil)
.75 oz Cascade (5 mins of boil)
.75 oz Simcoe (5 mins of boil)
.5 oz Amarillo (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Simcoe (Dry Hop)
.5 oz Crystal (Dry Hop)

Extra:
6 lbs. Fresh Mangos

I cut up the Mangos and froze them when I prepared to brew this beer, and kept them in the freezer until I transferred to secondary.

I mashed the grains at 150 F for 60 mins, and then boiled the wort for 60 min, adding the hops accordingly. I chilled the wort down to 80 F before pitching the yeast. I let it sit the primary for 7 days before transferring to a secondary bucket, and add the defrosted mangos and dry hops. I let it sit in there for 7 more days before transferring it over to a carboy and cold crashed at 34 F for 7 more days. I then brought it up to room temp before filtering it and transferring it to keg.

The picture I attached doesn't do it much justice, but the head was a bright white, thick, and followed the glass all the way down. Plus the beer was a lot cleaner looking.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

IMG_20150214_175358861[1].jpg

My buddy was the same way until he tried this one. I'm not to big on fruit beers myself either, like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, I cannot drink that one, but this one here with the mangos seemed to mellow it out a little. I personally am not a huge fan of IPAs either, but this one changed my mind on them as well. LOL

I did a recipe very similar to this once. Same yeast, same amount of mango, etc. If you didn't blanch or otherwise sterilize the mango be sure to keep that keg cold. You will undoubtedly will have some brettanomyces in there that will eventually go to work. I bottled mine and left the bottles at room temp even after they carbed (was a newbie back then and didn't know any better) The first few bottles tasted great, exactly as I expected them to. However, as time went on they got tart and then more tart until it ended up being a full on sour (perhaps some lacto got in there as well) Here's the thing. It was awesome! My beer snob friends went apesh*t over it and still talk about it almost 5 years later. All that being said, if you like the beer the way it is, make sure the keg stays at 40F or under.

Hey there

I know this is a old thread but I am brand new to brewing so I have a question. At which temperature should the beer ferment the first 2x7 days? And do you need to add sugar before botteling to carbonate the beer? If yes, how much?

Thanks guys!

I usually just leave it at 62* for 2 full weeks. After 3 or 4 days you can let the temp rise. I would keep it in the recommended range on the packet of yeast. Just my preference... I like cooler than warmer.

Wouldn't the fruit get rotten after a couple of days in the fermenter? How does that work?

Wouldn't the fruit get rotten after a couple of days in the fermenter? How does that work?
No fruit will ferment. I just don't understand why people are putting peel and all in. Peel really doesn't have flavor. And I sure wouldn't try using the green ones from the grocery store. Nothing like a true tree ripened 🥭

Back