Mango IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually forgot about this thread. As the thread originator, I feel a small obligation to post my results especially since so many people offered some fantastic input.

I followed the recipe exactly as in the original post, and ended up using a total of 5.5 lb of mango.

I used 2lb of frozen mango cubes in the primary. Then I peeled and lightly pureed (couple taps of the magic bullet) 3.5 lb of fresh mangoes, and added to secondary in a hop bag.

The taste is out of this world. There is no "hint" of mango here folks. It's extremely mango forward, but there are enough ibus to keep it balanced for my (and my girlfriend's) tastes.

I did lose a little over a gallon to absorption and sediment, so my 5oz packet of priming sugar may have been a little more than what I should have used, but I think the added carbonation makes the beer even more enjoyable.

Thanks to everyone who provided their input to the thread.

-Chad

This sounds delicious. Mind if I ask a couple questions?

Was this for a 5 gallon batch?

Do you happen to remember what the gravity readings were? Or the final ABV?

Did the frozen cubes go in the primary immediately? And how long did you primary for?

How long did you ferment in the secondary?

You used a hop bag for the puree.....did you use a glass carboy for the secondary and if so, was it hard to get in/out? Seems like it would be a challenge.

Were the frozen mango's in the primary of the pre-frozen grocery store variety?

Could you elaborate a little on how you prepared the wort? Temp/Time/Process?

Sorry for all the questions, sometimes I need things spelled out for me :eek:

Phil

This sounds delicious. Mind if I ask a couple questions?

Was this for a 5 gallon batch?

Do you happen to remember what the gravity readings were? Or the final ABV?

Did the frozen cubes go in the primary immediately? And how long did you primary for?

How long did you ferment in the secondary?

You used a hop bag for the puree.....did you use a glass carboy for the secondary and if so, was it hard to get in/out? Seems like it would be a challenge.

Were the frozen mango's in the primary of the pre-frozen grocery store variety?

Could you elaborate a little on how you prepared the wort? Temp/Time/Process?

Sorry for all the questions, sometimes I need things spelled out for me :eek:

Phil

This was indeed for a 5gal batch. However, I lost a little over a gallon due to absorption and sediment.

The frozen cubes (store bought - no preservatives) actually went in at flameout. The OG was right around 1.063. I used the malt bill for a flower power clone found on hopville.com. Fg was somewhere around 1.017 (before 3.5lb addition). I did not pay much attention to the exact fg because I did not know how to recalculate the formula for the addition of all that fruit in the secondary.

I was away on business, so the beer was in the primary bucket for nearly 3 weeks.

I kept the beer in secondary fermentation for 13 days, flipping the hop and mango bags every 2 days or so. I used my bottling bucket as the secondary fermentation vessel, then racked to a carboy as a tertiary step. Even with a hop bag, there was just too much sediment not to use a tertiary. I also removed a shelf from my fridge and chilled it for 2 days to clear it up. (worked very well)

Process:

Doing a little research on this site led me to doing a partial mash for this (because of the 2-row). I steeped all grains together for 20 minutes (standard temp range), then sparged for 10 @ ~165 deg. I do my brewing on an electric stove so it's a difficult to maintain exact temps.

I am still very new to home brewing (4 batches) so my documentation skills still need much work.

If there's anything else, let me know.

-Chad

This was indeed for a 5gal batch. However, I lost a little over a gallon due to absorption and sediment.

The frozen cubes (store bought - no preservatives) actually went in at flameout. The OG was right around 1.063. I used the malt bill for a flower power clone found on hopville.com. Fg was somewhere around 1.017 (before 3.5lb addition). I did not pay much attention to the exact fg because I did not know how to recalculate the formula for the addition of all that fruit in the secondary.

I was away on business, so the beer was in the primary bucket for nearly 3 weeks.

I kept the beer in secondary fermentation for 13 days, flipping the hop and mango bags every 2 days or so. I used my bottling bucket as the secondary fermentation vessel, then racked to a carboy as a tertiary step. Even with a hop bag, there was just too much sediment not to use a tertiary. I also removed a shelf from my fridge and chilled it for 2 days to clear it up. (worked very well)

Process:

Doing a little research on this site led me to doing a partial mash for this (because of the 2-row). I steeped all grains together for 20 minutes (standard temp range), then sparged for 10 @ ~165 deg. I do my brewing on an electric stove so it's a difficult to maintain exact temps.

I am still very new to home brewing (4 batches) so my documentation skills still need much work.

If there's anything else, let me know.

-Chad

Thanks Chad, that helps quite a bit. I just picked up a 3 lb bag of frozen mango cubes.

Its done, i got 15 fresh mango peeled and cut into small chunks i put the in a sanitize bowl which then went into the freezer overnight to kill any of the bacteria, i put them on the bottom of my fermenter and racked the my ipa directly ontop of them. If freezing didnt kill the bacteria the 7.2%abv my ipa currently has will.

I am all for the Mango thing - I am following this thread for sure, my wife loves mango!

FYI - Freezing does not kill bacteria. I went to university to become a Chef, and we learned that when you freeze food bacteria tends to go dormant. In fact, many types of harmful bacteria can survive BETTER when you freeze them as their survival mechanism is to send out more spores/divide cells rapidly if they are being frozen. For informations sake, I would say that the alcohol in the IPA would do the trick in keeping down bacteria/wild yeast levels.

When I try this, I will probably just pasturize my mango puree and add it to the fermenter once cooled - that will kill any spores/bacteria for sure.

What yeast did you use again Chad?

**edit** Nevermind, I see the 008 listed in the ingredients. doh

Brewing this one up as I type this. Made a few modifications..

6 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Golden Promise
12 oz crystal 15
8 oz munich malt
4 oz honey malt

.5 oz cascade 60 minutes
.5 oz cascade 15 minutes
.5 oz cascade 5 minutes
.5 oz cascade flameout

Wyeast 1450

Will add 3 lbs frozen cubed mangos and 3 fresh pureed mangos in the secondary.

I brewed this on August 12th, 2.5 gallon batch. Bottled 2.5 weeks ago. Put 2 bottles in the fridge this morning and will open in 3-5 days to make sure it's carbed. When I racked for bottling it smelled like heaven. Everyone was excited. But, I've been very patient (uncharacteristic of me). Can't wait, I'll keep you posted.

Safale US-05
57% 4 0 American Two-row Pale
29% 2 0 Mango Puree
9% 0 10 Belgian Candy Sugar Amber
4% 0 4 Caramunich Malt 40
2% 0 2 Honey Malt

boil 60 mins 0.8 Amarillo
boil 1 min 0.2 Amarillo
dry hop 0.75 Citra

2lb fresh mango pureed in tequila.

Popped on of these open after a couple weeks in the bottle and it is the best non-kit beer I have made to date. I've only made 12 batches, so that isn't saying much, but even the wife loves it. The mangos are pretty front and center, but not over bearing and the aroma is amazing. The only issue I have is that it is a little tart right now, but I'm hoping that mellows out in a couple weeks.

Did any of you prime differently? I was thinking of also straining some mango into priming solution before bottling.

Why would you do that? Is there a reason? Priming with mango's would add nothing, in my opinion. I recommend sticking to your usual prime.... adding mango puree is only adding more potential for bacteria.

I don't know about straining mango juice in but I bet priming with pasteurized store bought mango juice would be effective. How much to use is the only wild card.

I wasn't going to add the purée straight in. It would be added prior to boiling the water. I've read few threads where it imparts a little aroma.

I remember seeing a chart somewhere that shows how to calc what's needed but can't find it.

Excuse my ignorance but with this beer do you ferment, rack and add mangos, then once it's done 2nd fermentation, dry hop with additional hops?

I usually add (frozen) 1 lb mango & 1lb Pineapple to primary after "vigorous" fermentation has subsided. I allow this addition to sit in the primary for atleast 3 days to allow for the fermentation to kick back up and eat some of the sugars. This method works fantastic and does not add pectin haze.... well i cant tell because i also use 10 oz of hops in my beer

Latest posts

Back