Mango IPA, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghast

Reaction score
I was wondering if this recipe would work out... I have a lot of El Dorado hops and also wanted to give a beer a touch of mango so...

10lbs Pale Ale
1lb CaraMunich 2
1lb Caramel pils

0.5oz Columbus @60min
1oz Amarillo @10
1oz Amarillo @5
1oz El Dorado @5
2oz El Dorado Whirlpool

Dryhopping:
2oz El Dorado
and add some heated mango as well in there inside a muslim bag...

Yeast: Safale US-05

I would freeze the mango chunks then add in primary. Then dry hop and remove mango bag.
No need to heat. You’ll only get a pectin haze that way. Btw- sounds delicious.

I would freeze the mango chunks then add in primary. Then dry hop and remove mango bag.
No need to heat. You’ll only get a pectin haze that way. Btw- sounds delicious.
Thanks, yeah... I was thinking of freezing it also... but isnt it better to add the mango on secondary? I have heard its better to let the yeast do its work a few days on its own...

Sure if you are doing a secondary.
If it were my beer I would add the frozen mango chunks after 2 weeks of fermentation to my primary. This way you don’t have to worry about a temp drop. I’d leave the chunks in for maybe 10 days then pull them out and dry hop at same time. I do secondaries in a glass carboy and fishing out several pounds of mangoes doesn’t sound like fun.

Btw- I have two bags of Costco mango chunks in my freezer. I was gonna save them for a mead but now you got me thinking...

I’ve never been able to extract much flavor out of mangoes. Have you thought about adding a few drops of mango oil or flavoring?

I’ve never been able to extract much flavor out of mangoes. Have you thought about adding a few drops of mango oil or flavoring?
Yes, I was actually thinking of maybe adding a mango extract on bottling day, but for now I will just stick with the mango slices and see if it works out right

Latest posts

Back