Man, I love Welchswein...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
I have quite a number of bottles of Welch's grape juice, mostly dark, some white. Nobody seems to want to drink it. What do you think would happen if I followed Ed's Apfelwein recipe but used the grape juice instead?

I love welch's wine, so I'm probably biased. The thing is, concord grape wine is very tart. I like it, but you may like it sweetened a bit. Also, I'm not sure what the OG of Ed's Apfelwein is, but that's a good SG to shoot for the the welch's too, but the welch's may have a higher sugar count to begin with. So, I would say, either follow my recipe, or use Edwort's, but check the SG with about 1/2 the sugar added, just in case it's higher than with apple juice.

Here's the way I did it, and it tastes GREAT so far:

For each gallon of grape juice or concentrate equivalent add:

3 cups sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp wine tannin

For up to 5 gallons, add a packet of:

wine yeast (Lavlin 71b-1122)

Here's a pic of mine a day or two after pitching:
img_0558.jpg

I'll be checking on it some time next month. :rockin:

I love welch's wine, so I'm probably biased. The thing is, concord grape wine is very tart. I like it, but you may like it sweetened a bit. Also, I'm not sure what the OG of Ed's Apfelwein is, but that's a good SG to shoot for the the welch's too, but the welch's may have a higher sugar count to begin with. So, I would say, either follow my recipe, or use Edwort's, but check the SG with about 1/2 the sugar added, just in case it's higher than with apple juice.

OK, where may I find your recipe?

Back