Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed a smell for about a day after fermentation started, then it went away. It smelt like old apples. I used Langers juice.

I got a thread goin' on my easy and cheap assed fermenter for appfelwein, its food grade hdpe. I just got a batch goin' for about 35 bucks including the fermenter, airlock, and ingrediants... easy to set it and hide it away for a few months..

I just got my first batch started last night. Did 10 gallons with two different yeasts since I had some Premier Cuvee yeast and thought it would be a neat experiment.

The carboy with Premier Cuvee looks striking, the yeast are in visible colonies and the juice is still relatively clear so it looks like a snow globe. The montrachet carboy is cloudy. Both are beginning to show signs of fermentation at the 12 hour mark.

I'm pretty exited. This is much easier to make than beer and sounds great.

I have left Apfelwein for a few months on the yeast cake with no ill effects.

My bathroom has taken on the smell that a bar gets at 4 am after a busy night. :ban: Hope SWMBO don't get too mad about it....

I asked this on another thread but didn't receive a response yet so I'm asking here. I have 5 gallons of Edworts apfelwein fermenting right now and I was wondering is anyone has put the apfelwein in anything other than a bottle or keg to serve it from. I was thinking about leaving it in the fermenter until a few days before I want to serve it and put it in a gallon jug that the juice came in and refrigerate for 48 hours or so. Im just worried about contamination due to the yeast. I just dont wanna go for another 48 or 24 bottles since i have close to 200 already :X

Should be fine to put it in jugs. Since the yeasties ate all the sugar and the ABV is damn near 10%, I doubt any bad infection could take hold. You could sanitize the jugs if you were really worried about it. Not sure what you mean about `contamination due to the yeast`.

Sorry for asking, I know this has been covered. Even a search is too friggin long to find an answer.
I'm bottling tomorrow 5 Gal Apfelwein, Cotes yeast. 5 weeks ferment.

So I need 5 ounces Corn Sugar for carbing. Do I need to boil 2 cups water then add the sugar. Then add mixture to the Apfelwein? Or simply rack to a secondary over the sugar and stir before bottling.

How much Splenda do I add for sweetening? This the stuff you can buy at the grocery store?

Sorry for asking, I know this has been covered. Even a search is too friggin long to find an answer.
I'm bottling tomorrow 5 Gal Apfelwein, Cotes yeast. 5 weeks ferment.

So I need 5 ounces Corn Sugar for carbing. Do I need to boil 2 cups water then add the sugar. Then add mixture to the Apfelwein? Or simply rack to a secondary over the sugar and stir before bottling.

How much Splenda do I add for sweetening? This the stuff you can buy at the grocery store?

I'd boil 2 cups water with the corn sugar. It'll be dissolved in liquid, and blend much easier. No idea on Splenda, as I like my AW just as it is.

I asked this on another thread but didn't receive a response yet so I'm asking here. I have 5 gallons of Edworts apfelwein fermenting right now and I was wondering is anyone has put the apfelwein in anything other than a bottle or keg to serve it from. I was thinking about leaving it in the fermenter until a few days before I want to serve it and put it in a gallon jug that the juice came in and refrigerate for 48 hours or so. Im just worried about contamination due to the yeast. I just dont wanna go for another 48 or 24 bottles since i have close to 200 already :X

The only problem I see with putting this in jugs is oxidation. How long is it going to take you to finish? If your worried about having alot of bottles, bottle in 1.5 liter wine bottles. Only about 12 to 5 gallons.

I noticed the smell too, It smells like what we in Germany call "Federweißer".

Ahhh Federweißer. SWMBO has me making a batch in January to go with her Zwiebelkuchen for a Neuwein party she's putting together.

I miss September in Bergstraße. :rockin:

So I've had this keg with Apfelwein since July. It has smoothed out a LOT. Too bad its almost gone. I do have a 5 gal better bottle waiting with another batch. Its been in there for 4 months now LOL.

I'm about halfway through my first batch and am thoroughly enjoying it :) Getting ready to start my second and am thinking of going with a ale yeast this time as my only complaint with the first batch is that is was slightly too dry for my tastes which I think was due to using a champagne yeast.

Ahhh Federweißer. SWMBO has me making a batch in January to go with her Zwiebelkuchen for a Neuwein party she's putting together.

I miss September in Bergstraße. :rockin:

OK Ed....Help a guy out....I have German Heratage....but NOT a Big lump of experience in the language...and never been there.
What the heck is Federweißer...and how do I make it?

In case this thread isn't long enough I thought I'd mention that I just threw down a batch of this on the 22nd and I'm gonna give it a month. Pretty excited too.

I used a Lalvin EC-1118 dry yeast though, as I couldn't get any Montrachet on short supply. I'm sure I'm not the first to do so.

Ok here's the situation....

Mixed up 2.5 gallons as I wasn't sure how it would go over and didn't have a spare 5 gallon carboy. It's getting close to bottling time and I would like to carb a couple of 12oz bottles just to see if it's something I might like. Does anyone know how much dry corn sugar to add per 12oz bottle? I've heard anywhere from 1tsp, which sounds like a bit much to just a little over a 1/2 tsp which sounds more reasonable. Thanks....

Ok here's the situation....

Mixed up 2.5 gallons as I wasn't sure how it would go over and didn't have a spare 5 gallon carboy. It's getting close to bottling time and I would like to carb a couple of 12oz bottles just to see if it's something I might like. Does anyone know how much dry corn sugar to add per 12oz bottle? I've heard anywhere from 1tsp, which sounds like a bit much to just a little over a 1/2 tsp which sounds more reasonable. Thanks....

Individual botte priming is risky business. You could use carb drops, Muntons and Coopers both make them.

You'll like it though. Might as well carb up half the batch.

Wow I just found a case of apfelwein that I think is about a year old in my homebrew closet. Somehow I lost track of it, but now it's wonderful. It's completely lost its alcoholic bite, and goes down easy. Incredibly refreshing. I couldn't help but flat out chug and glass after a long homebrew session and now i'm really feeling it! :drunk:

Saw a selection of apple wine being sold at the grocery store as a seasonal special. One was with peach, one with strawberry and one with blackberry. I may have to use apfelwein as a base and see if I can make better versions of these. :D

Hi,
I just started my first batch of apfelwein. I just have a quick question that i should have prolly asked before hand. Oh well though.

After I went through the steps and was ready to put the cap on my carboy, I realized that I didn't have my stopper. So in an attempt to save the batch I covered the mouth of the carboy with a couple layers of saran wrap and secured it with some rubber bands.

Will this be ok for fermenting the apfelwein?

Hi,
I just started my first batch of apfelwein. I just have a quick question that i should have prolly asked before hand. Oh well though.

After I went through the steps and was ready to put the cap on my carboy, I realized that I didn't have my stopper. So in an attempt to save the batch I covered the mouth of the carboy with a couple layers of saran wrap and secured it with some rubber bands.

Will this be ok for fermenting the apfelwein?

It will probably be fine, especially while the fermentation is active. It would be prudent to place a stopper and airlock at your nearest convenience, however.

thanks for the fast reply. I'm gonna go get a stopper and air lock tomorrow morning.

Also. Does headspace matter a whole lot with this?

My first batch of apfelwein is just at 4 weeks in the primary. Do I need to rack it, or is it ok to leave it on the lees for awhile?

I plan on carbonation at least half of it and putting it into champagne bottles. How should I store the still apfelwein? How long can it stay in the primary?

Ed, Have you ever tried adding "apple pucker" (you know the stuff they use for the apple martini's) in you recipe?

I was thinking of throwing a half cup in the bottle of my corney when I move it to keg.

Ed, Have you ever tried adding "apple pucker" (you know the stuff they use for the apple martini's) in you recipe?.

Nope. Personally, I have never tried any other variation of it for years after finding this one. It works for me and I like the consistency.

I do enjoy the Heißer Ebbelwei Grog in the winter time. Top it with some good rum and it will warm you up even faster. :D :cross:

Well, I made my first batch on Nov 5, 2008 and will probably be moving it to a corny on Saturday to free up the carboy.

Any conditioning advise for me ED?

Well, I made my first batch on Nov 5, 2008 and will probably be moving it to a corny on Saturday to free up the carboy.

Any conditioning advise for me ED?

Unless it has dropped clear and is below 1.000 FG, I would let it sit for another week or so. If it has, purge the corny with CO2 first, then rack it. Leave it at room temp for another month.

I know this stuff can be consumed in 6 weeks, but man, the wait for proper aging is well worth it. That's where several batches spaced out come in handy.

Maybe taking you signature too seriously, I am "abandoning all burden" of reading all 106 pages of 40 posts in this thread and I am "entering here" to ask what your preference is,

Still or Sparkling?

I have a batch going now following you recipe exactly but scaled down to 1 gallon. In the past this volume has rewarded me with 9 to 10 (12) Oz bottles.

So, for the Apfelwien virgin looking to get his "Apple" :rolleyes: popped which is better to start with, fizzy or flat?

So, for the Apfelwien virgin looking to get his "Apple" :rolleyes: popped which is better to start with, fizzy or flat?

First batch, I think a lot of folks will recommend doing half and half. I got some coopers carb drops and used those to carb up a dozen or so bottles and then bottled the rest still in wine bottles.

I "brewed" my apfelwein on 11-15. I wanted to have this done by Christmas. Is that possible? I planned on carbonating it on 12-15 and giving it ALMOST two weeks to do it's job. Is this going to be a total failure?

Maybe taking you signature too seriously, I am "abandoning all burden" of reading all 106 pages of 40 posts in this thread and I am "entering here" to ask what your preference is,

Still or Sparkling?

I have a batch going now following you recipe exactly but scaled down to 1 gallon. In the past this volume has rewarded me with 9 to 10 (12) Oz bottles.

Fizzy is the shizznit! :tank:

Still or Sparkling?

Sparkling! Honestly, I don't care for the stuff flat...the fizz is what makes it so refreshing. I probably over-carb mine a bit, but that's how I like it.

Back