Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had rhino farts, and I've just used Wyeast nutrient and Montrachet yeast.

I should have said that when I used FERMAX with Montrachet, it cut down considerably on the H2S production. Still got less or none with EC-1118. I think I should have added more DAP. Bag said 1/2-3/4 gram (1/2 TSP per 5 gal), which seemed low to me as I've seen others using a full teaspoon per 5 gal.

The Fermax worked great as directed. I think I am going to try to find another bottle of that.

Might as well just use table sugar.

table sugar had its own problems, I thought?

besides, apple juice's sugar is primarily fructose.

Sugars 23.9g
Sucrose 3125mg
Glucose 6523mg
Fructose 14210mg

Why would this cause issues similar to adding table sugar?

Batch #2 in the fermenter, the most vigorous fermentation I've ever seen. Wrote a song about it. Wanna hear it, here it go:

Not any music actually, just about 18 seconds of furious bubbling! :mug:

Mals

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow I've not been on for a few months! I started my homemade Apelwein on 26th November 2010, and it's still sat in my understairs cupboard.

I forgot all about it, and now not sure what to do with it? will it still be ok?

herminator said:
Wow I've not been on for a few months! I started my homemade Apelwein on 26th November 2010, and it's still sat in my understairs cupboard.

I forgot all about it, and now not sure what to do with it? will it still be ok?

Will it be ok???? It should be significantly BETTER.

You're all welcome to come for a taste ;-)

Can anyone advise what best to do now? Is it ready to drink? do I need to add anything to it first? Sorry this is my first time,

just a quick (maybe dumb) question. do you re sugar at bottling or is this a flat beverage?? definately interested in trying!

BrewinBigD said:
just a quick (maybe dumb) question. do you re sugar at bottling or is this a flat beverage?? definately interested in trying!

Either way works. Some prefer it sparkling (like me), while others prefer it still.

I just took a gravity reading after 2 weeks out of curiosity since my blowoff tube stopped all activity. My reading was .991. Is this too low? Did I possibly get an infection? For a 3 gal batch, I used 1 gallon of homemade, pasteurized apple juice and 2 gallons of tree top, along with 1 lb of corn sugar and a packet of montrachet yeast.

is it normal for airlock activity to stop after about a week?

Yea I wouldn't worry about it. If it's hot where your fermenter is, it will ferment faster. My condo is about 80 degrees and it finished bubbling at 7 or 8 days. Just letting it sit until I get around to kegging it now.

Kegged mine after 8 1/2 months. This stuff is amazing! I can't wait till it gets all carbed up.

I am going to immediately make two more batches. Another plain and something with some fruit/honey/spice combo.

I am thoroughly impressed!

I just made a new batch yesterday using 2 lbs brown sugar and EC-1118 yeast. OG 1.060. Bubbling nicely after 20 hours.

I just made a new batch yesterday using 2 lbs brown sugar and EC-1118 yeast. OG 1.060. Bubbling nicely after 20 hours.

I did the exact same thing except that I only used one pound of brown sugar. Pissed at myself. Could I add another pound one day into fermentation? What type of ABV can I expect if I just leave it with the one pound of brown sugar. I used the same yeast.

After one week I am still see'n activity. A bubble about ever 15 seconds....Man I just can't wait!!!! Followed EdWort's recipie to the letter!

Mike

I did the exact same thing except that I only used one pound of brown sugar. Pissed at myself. Could I add another pound one day into fermentation? What type of ABV can I expect if I just leave it with the one pound of brown sugar. I used the same yeast.

I'm not sure exactly what your OG is with 1 lb. sugar. I think I should know this but I don't. A lb. of brown sugar is 452 grams.
FWIW I just made a 5 gal. batch of lemonade using 4 lbs. corn sugar and the OG was 1.084 and another using 3 lbs and that one was 1.074. So, I'd assume that with 1 lb. you would be in the low 50's.
If you wanted to add, it's probably not a big deal but you could just go with what you have and see how it turns out. It will just be a lower abv.

Well, I have the urge to call EdWort a M'F**kR!
Four pints of this libation is NOT the same as 4 pints of ale. WOW!

Four pints of this libation is NOT the same as 4 pints of ale. WOW! :drunk:

Four pints of this libation is NOT the same as 4 pints of ale. WOW!

I just recently kegged and carbed a batch of this (in primary for ~4 months), and while it was tasting fantastic previously, since the transfer/carb process, it seems to have developed a slight aftertaste of what I can only describe as soap. I initially decided that it was due to the carbonation altering the taste a bit, but that's usually a bit more up-front, in my experience. Anyone have any ideas? Should I expect this to fade out with age?

Regardless, it's drinkable now, but it sure tasted better before the transfer. I think I may just plan to back-sweeten it a bit in the glass, as that balances the flavor out a bit.

i made a 5 gallon batch of this back in march because i was moving and i didn't think it would be as temperamental to relocate as a batch of beer. i bottled it with wine conditioner after 3 months fermentation and then sampled some after 3.5 total months. it tasted okay at that time but it had no carbonation. i then put it all up and forgot about it until a week ago. cracked one open and after 5 total months it's fully carbed and, albeit dry, much more of the apple is coming through.

i'm ready to start another batch of this because i don't want there to be a time when i don't have any on hand! thanks EdWort!

Carbonate it like you would beer. I followed Ed's recipe and carbed with about 1/2 cup corn sugar dissolved into 1 cup water. It was plenty carbed and looks like you are pouring ginger ale.

Thanks for this. I have it all in a 5 gallon carboy. do I do the above and just pour into the carboy once it's dissolved?

Thanks for this. I have it all in a 5 gallon carboy. do I do the above and just pour into the carboy once it's dissolved?

I bottle only at this time so when I'm ready, I add the solution to the bottle bucket and then transfer the cider over and bottle from there. I get 54 bottles from 5 gal.

If you are kegging then hopefully someone else will help you out with your question.

so I made a batch of this on 7-7-11 we sampled on 8-7-11 and it tasted like apple vinager. Do I just need to be more patient or did something go wrong?

We did have some warm temps as the AC went out in the brewhouse during a 90f stent. The beers all turned out OK.

so I made a batch of this on 7-7-11 we sampled on 8-7-11 and it tasted like apple vinager. Do I just need to be more patient or did something go wrong?

We did have some warm temps as the AC went out in the brewhouse during a 90f stent. The beers all turned out OK.

I'm no expert but it sounds like it got oxidized

wiseman said:
I'm no expert but it sounds like it got oxidized

Oxidation shouldn't cause vinegar. Infection would, though.

Hot temps can cause acetaldehyde which is vinegar-ish as well, but I've always had it way more in the aroma than in the actual taste.

Oxidation shouldn't cause vinegar. Infection would, though.

Hot temps can cause acetaldehyde which is vinegar-ish as well, but I've always had it way more in the aroma than in the actual taste.

"Its made from over-fermenting alcohol. As sugar ferments its converted to alcohol, but when alcohol is fermented further with air, the alcohol is catylitically oxidized by the zymase in yeast and becomes the carboxylic acid acetic acid (the chemical name for vinegar)."

from howtomakevinegar.com

No... you don't want to carbonate in a carboy (if that's what you meant).

Siphon to a bottling bucket (sanitized), then mix in your priming sugar. Once dissolved, transfer to your sanitized bottles (or keg).

EDIT: After re-reading your post, it's possible you could bottle from the carboy and skip the bottling bucket. In this case, add the syrup to the carboy, mix VERY gently so as not to rouse up the yeast on the bottom, and then siphon into bottles. I did this with my last batch of barleywine, although this was in the secondary, so there was a lot less yeast/trub to get stirred up.

Back