Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be cautious in case this stuff finishes with a high FG. I've had near bottle bombs in the past with high FG brews that sat on the yeast for 2 months. Personally I think I'm gonna bottle this one like wine and kill the yeast off first or keg it.

Kegging is the way to go with this, nice light sparkle on it helps the mouthfeel.

Just started a 6 gallon batch of the original recipe. This is my first attempt at fermenting (besides bread), and I have high hopes.

Thanks Ed!

So, I had the batch cloud up and begin to ferment by day 2. Fermentation was vigorous for just short of one week, with ambient temperature steady at ~78F. Problem is, on day 7 all air lock activity ceased. I decided to give it another day, but day 8 shows no change. I have a few active streamers of bubbles along the side walls, but activity on the whole is minimal compared to three days ago.

I know that 78F is warmer than most ferments here, but surely that wasn't enough to cut the ferment time by 75%.

Could this be the dreaded 'stuck ferment'? :(

What does the hydrometer say?

1.002... wow.

I drew a sample and agitated for about 2 min to try and force any gasses out of solution, corrected for temperature... that's surprising.

I sampled the sample myself. Smells like wine, obvious fruit scent. The taste is a bit harsh from noticeable alcohol, and not as clean as I'd expected. Probably that's the yeast still in suspension.

I can taste the potential in this beverage, but I hope it improves significantly with time.

Note to self: That turkey baster sucks. Invest in a proper wine thief.

At 1.002 it's probably still not finished either. It will probably slowly get down to around 0.998 - 0.995.

I transferred mine last night. I only have one keg and I needed it to be empty. I filled six growlers, a gallon jug, and a few fliptops.

At 1.002 it's probably still not finished either. It will probably slowly get down to around 0.998 - 0.995.

Yeah, mine always got down to 0.996-0.998, but the last batch, after 9 weeks in the fermenter was 1.002 as well (0.999-1.00 @72 deg, so ~1.001-1.002 corrected for temp). It was crystal clear, so I am pretty sure it was done.

It did seem pretty effervescent, with a lot of trapped gas, and a bit sweeter than previous batches. I liked it!!! Primed and bottled, waiting to see how it tastes when carbonated. No bottle bombs after 7 days @72 degrees, so I don't think it was still fermenting.

I have been using EC-1118 lately and it usually goes ultra dry. This was actually my first FULL 5 gal batch, but I have done 4 gal before, so I doubt it was too much for the yeasties.

I had some draft cider in Quebec City, and it was a bit sweeter than my usual Apfelwein, but not as sweet as Woodchuck or Woodpecker. Was starting to hatch plans to try some backsweetening of the Apfelwein to achieve this nice balance, but lo and behold, when I got home and bottled this batch, it had JUST the sweetness I was looking for!!!

EDIT: Ooops!! I re-read the original post and I missed the fact that it was only 8 days in. I bet it hasnt even started to clear yet. Let it go AT LEAST 4 weeks if not 8. Even if fermentation is really done, the yeast need to clean up and drop before it is really drinkable.. Just wait for it to clear and you should be fine. I noticed that, at least for me, batches made with EC-1118 clear faster than Montrachet, but it still takes at least 3 weeks, and, as above, I leave it for at least 8.

I have made about 20 gallons of this stuff and my wife loves it. I was at a discount place near where I live today and they had two half gallons of juice for 1.79. I bought 10 gallons worth. plus if I buy by the case I get a 5% discount.
so 16 dollars for 10 gallons of delicious booze. May have to go back for more.

On a whim I picked up 2 32 oz bottles of LOOZA Pear Nectar. Thinking of trying an APFEL-PEAR combo with 2 gal of apple juce and the 64 oz of Looza. I'm pretty sure I have seen Apple/Pear combos in this thread but I don't recall any taste reports. Any experiences out there? Is this ratio OK or will the Pear contribution be negligible?

The Pear stuff is a bit cloudy so I will probably add some pectinase just to be sure if I use it.

Would doing a batch in a 6.5 gallon brew bucket be a problem? (Assuming you followed the recipe exactly) If not could I leave it there for 8 weeks in the plasic bucket?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

I did a 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon brew bucket. I left it sit for 3 months and it turned out great!

quick question, i've got 10 gallons of this stuff going, 5 that i batched in january and 5 batched in march. looking at bottling half of this straight in wine bottles and the other carbonated. since i have no kegs can i carb this in 2 liter pop bottles? how much priming sugar should i use?
thanks
Ben

quick question, i've got 10 gallons of this stuff going, 5 that i batched in january and 5 batched in march. looking at bottling half of this straight in wine bottles and the other carbonated. since i have no kegs can i carb this in 2 liter pop bottles? how much priming sugar should i use?
thanks
Ben

I generally carb my Apfelwein with 1 oz (by weight) Dextrose/gallon. The 2 L pop bottles should be fine.

Generally, 3/4 cup of Dextrose (~36 TSP) is about 4 oz, so for each 2 L you could add 1/2 oz of Dextrose or, ~4-4.5 tsp per 2 L

If my math is right :)

since i have no kegs can i carb this in 2 liter pop bottles? how much priming sugar should i use?
thanks
Ben

I don't see why not. I just bottled a little bit of mine yesterday in a couple PETE soda bottles. Just about any carbonated beverage container can be used if it can be easily sanitized and sealed. As for priming sugar, Edwort mentions 3/4 cup per 5gal in the first post.

I'll chime in about my 2 first batches, which I'm sampling side-by-side as I write this. Both at 80°F, still.

#1: 5 gal Aldi apple juice (at $1.29 per half gallon), 1 lb 13 oz dextrose. Pitched 4/13/11
Pasteur Champagne yeast (OLD yeast pack that was at the back of the fridge) @ 70°F (eventually 80°+ during these summer months)
Slow to start fermentation (approx 5 days before positive pressure on airlock)
1/2" krausen in carboy neck.
8/12/11: Still has positive pressure on airlock. 1 glug/5 minutes. F.G. 0.996 (corrected to 60°F). Racked to keg.

Dry, slightly sour, distinct apple flavor, weak but noticeable apple aroma. Faintly cloudy, light color. #1 I feel is comparable to a table wine. Not a sweetened dessert wine, but a table wine like a Riesling. Refreshing (even as I drink it at room temp), and leaves a slight sour taste in the mouth to finish; significantly tart. Will be interesting to taste once carbonated.

#2: 5 Gal Aldi apple juice, 2lb 1 oz dextrose. Pitched 4/25/11
Montrachet yeast (fresh yeast pack) @ 70°F (eventually 80°+ during these summer months)
Heavy airlock activity after 24 hours. No krausen, just bubbles that burst once they reach the surface.
8/7/11: Still has positive pressure on airlock. 1 glug/10 minutes. F.G. 0.996 (corrected).

I'd compare #2 to an inexpensive sparkling wine such as Andre Extra Dry (and correctly carbonated, I'd bet it could pass for it). This isn't a bad thing at all - I still buy the stuff all the time. Deliciously dry, crisp, slightly tart, and best sipped gently from a tall champagne glass. Little apple flavor, but not insignificantly fruity; there is something there in the background. Finishes with an alcoholic warmth. Will be great once it's carb'd.

Conclusion:

Personally, I prefer the taste of batch #1, made w/ Pasteur Champagne yeast. However, it is a few weeks older, and was made with less dextrose, so these batches are NOT identical. I would recommend trying other yeasts along with Montracet, just to get a different perspective.

Using less dextrose than Ed calls for could perhaps be a good thing, at least by my tastes. Next batch I will use maybe 1 lb dextrose, and probably yet another yeast strain to test out.

Just finished off my first good bottle of Apfelwein, it's been in bottle for 3 weeks carbing and I tasted a bottle at 1, 2, and 3 weeks. Now that I know it is carbed correctly the rest is going in the cellar until Christmas.

jpr210 said:
should i have aerated the apple juice before i pitched the yeast? if i didn't should i just not worry?

Well, by shaking the sugar/juice combo in the bottle as the recipe calls for, it should have sufficiently aerated the juice before it went into the fermenter.

I'll chime in about my 2 first batches,

Personally, I prefer the taste of batch #1, made w/ Pasteur Champagne yeast. However, it is a few weeks older, and was made with less dextrose, so these batches are NOT identical. I would recommend trying other yeasts along with Montracet, just to get a different perspective.

Using less dextrose than Ed calls for could perhaps be a good thing, at least by my tastes. Next batch I will use maybe 1 lb dextrose, and probably yet another yeast strain to test out.

Interesting. The one time I used Pasteur Champagne Yeast for a Cider (but not an Apfelwein recipe) it came out TERRIBLE.. Thin, dry, sour. But every time I have used EC-1118 for Apfelwein it comes out great. The two yeasts are generally considered similar (one mail order brewshop often suggests substitution of my EC-1118 orders with the Pasteur yeast if they are out of stock on the EC-1118).

I guess I should do a test with the Apfelwein recipe....but my Apfelwein addicted friend who drinks 90% of what I produce keeps saying "DON'T MESS WITH IT!!!" :D

Of course, I 'messed with it' using EC-1118 instead of Montrachet and it was a GOOD thing! :ban:

I have always found this article very interesting:

http://hbd.org/brewery/library/CidYeast091595.html

I had used Lalvin EC-1118 for Meads before, and this article made me decide to try it with Apfelwein with excellent results!. I am starting a batch today, but unfortunately all I have 'in stock' is Montrachet...so we'll go back to basics and hope it turns out OK. Interesting that in the above article, the Cider made with Montrachet got 0 votes for taste!

Interesting. The one time I used Pasteur Champagne Yeast for a Cider (but not an Apfelwein recipe) it came out TERRIBLE.. Thin, dry, sour.

I'll give it some more time. Both still have to be carbonated yet, and that may change some things.

The Montrachet was more definitely more "thin" than the Pasteur. That's a really good description of the Montrachet now that I think about it.... "thin".

The other random variable is how old the yeast was. We all know that underpitching makes more esters (at least with malted beverages). Since the yeast took full 5 days to get going, maybe I got a little more flavor due to the lag time. That, and it was 60°-65°f in my house at the time.

I'm going to dump 5 more gallons of apple juice on the Pasteur yeast cake today. I feel guilty having empty carboys sitting around, especially since apfelwein's so cheap (and good). This batch will cost $14.90 ($1.29X10 for the juice, + $2.00 for the 1lb corn sugar.

I'll definitely use that EC-1118 next time.... my LHBS has it here locally, so I have no excuse not to try it out. http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/3001213/lalvin-ec-1118-yeast

I have always found this article very interesting:

http://hbd.org/brewery/library/CidYeast091595.html

I had used Lalvin EC-1118 for Meads before, and this article made me decide to try it with Apfelwein with excellent results!. I am starting a batch today, but unfortunately all I have 'in stock' is Montrachet...so we'll go back to basics and hope it turns out OK. Interesting that in the above article, the Cider made with Montrachet got 0 votes for taste!

I think the one thing Montrachet has going for it is the quick fermentation. Us beer guys are accustomed to having fermentation take a week or so.... not the months like wines need. To some folks, that could be the deal breaker to use Montrachet.

Of course, maybe a fresh pack of Pasteur would've done the same thing, so I could be full of it.

I have found that the EC-1118 is as quick or quicker than Montrachet. It clears faster than the Montrachet (I still leave it in the carboy for 8 weeks) and I think the result has more apple flavor despite being very dry.

That said, my last batch with EC-1118 finished pretty high (1.001-1.002) and, at least the warm flat sample from the hydrometer tube had much more sweetness than previously (in a GOOD way). We'll see what happens after bottle aging and carbing.

I am sort of a beer guy now too. Coming from Meads which take an interminable amount of time to be drinkable (and my efforts were hit and miss in the drinkability arena) I've been doing some extract brewing for the past 2 years as well as Apfelwein making. My just bottled Summer ale took a bit longer than usual to bottle (3 weeks primary, 1 week secondary) because it stubbornly refused to clear until after secondary (had Elderflower and Lemon Balm in it in addition to hops, which might have been the reason). Should be about carbed and ready to taste now.

BTW... my first EC-1118 batch was with an old pack of EC-1118 about a year and a half past its expiry date. It took off like crazy in less than 12 hours and went to 0.998 when all was said and done.

I think it's interesting that this topic came up. I, too, used EC-1118 that had just expired. I had two packets and pitched both just in case it was weak from age. It still took off in about six hours and only took a week to stop bubbling. It also finished high, right at 1.002. I let sit for eight weeks and it was still at 1.002, so I went ahead and bottled it. I am by no means a sommelier, but it seemed to turn out better and with more mouth feel and apple flavor than many have described. I was concerned because the A/C conveniently went out the day after I pitched and daytime temps indoors were hovering around the low to mid '80s.

I think it's interesting that this topic came up. I, too, used EC-1118 that had just expired. I had two packets and pitched both just in case it was weak from age. It still took off in about six hours and only took a week to stop bubbling. It also finished high, right at 1.002. I let sit for eight weeks and it was still at 1.002, so I went ahead and bottled it. I am by no means a sommelier, but it seemed to turn out better and with more mouth feel and apple flavor than many have described. I was concerned because the A/C conveniently went out the day after I pitched and daytime temps indoors were hovering around the low to mid '80s.

Actually, my last batch with EC-1118 that turned out at 1.002 was with a fairly new pack of EC-1118. Far from expiry...the temp was 70-75 degrees over the time frame, which has always yielded low final gravities. I have to say, though, the batch that went over the winter, 51-64 degrees throughout the time in Primary was the best tasting batch up to that point..and finished at 0.998.

I went to make this recipe from memory and I thought it was 5 gallons of apple juice, 5 pounds of sugar. Just read it and realized it was 2 pounds. Will this finish? is there anything you think i should do?

wiseman said:
I went to make this recipe from memory and I thought it was 5 gallons of apple juice, 5 pounds of sugar. Just read it and realized it was 2 pounds. Will this finish? is there anything you think i should do?

Has all the sugar dissolved? If it's not you can rack off of what is sitting on the bottom. If it is you just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

I would let the montrachet or whatever wine yeast you are using finish then add some champagne yeast.

Alternatively you could split the batch into two 2.5 gallon batches and then top them up to 5 gallons with more juice.

runningweird said:
I would let the montrachet or whatever wine yeast you are using finish then add some champagne yeast.

Alternatively you could split the batch into two 2.5 gallon batches and then top them up to 5 gallons with more juice.

Genius. If you can't remove sugar, increase volume.

Has all the sugar dissolved? If it's not you can rack off of what is sitting on the bottom. If it is you just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

yeah it all dissolved fine. I'll probably measure the gravity tonight to see if it's pancake syrup.

Though by my math, including all the sugar in the apple juice that's a total of about 9.5 pounds of sugar total in it and I've done barleywines with more sugar in it to start than that.

Wow.... I have been using EC-1118 and Fermax Yeast nutrient and Rhino Farts have been largely non-existent.

Yesterday I whipped up a batch with 2 gal apple juice, 1/2 gal Gerber 100% Pear juice, 1/2 lb dextrose 1/2 lb brown sugar.

I was out of EC-1118 so I used Montrachet
I was out of Fermax (actually it got wet and went bad) so I used DAP according to directions (1/4 Tsp in my 2.5 gallon batch).

Started bubbling by last night and today it is already Rhino Fart city!! Worse than ever! Wonder if it is the pear juice or just the stressed yeast. Gotta get some more FERMAX, EC-1118 or add more DAP!:rolleyes:

I've never had rhino farts, and I've just used Wyeast nutrient and Montrachet yeast.

Thoughts on fructose vs glucose (corn sugar)? I can get pure fructose right down the street for about 99 cents a pound instead of going all the way across town to get glucose.

wiseman said:
Thoughts on fructose vs glucose (corn sugar)? I can get pure fructose right down the street for about 99 cents a pound instead of going all the way across town to get glucose.

Might as well just use table sugar.

Latest posts

Back