Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see. I'm interested to see if a combination of sorts will result in a lower FG. Mine bottomed out at 1.000 with just brown sugar, though I used cotes des blanc yeast. We've got another batch that (save for the apple juice) is exactly the same as EdWort's original recipe. I'm anxious to do a side-by-side comparison - though I'll have to consider that one was brewed about a month later than the other.

A quick taste-test of my uncarbonated batch before bottling was excellent though!

As I mentioned, I used KV-1116 which is an almost fool-proof yeast that finishes wines and meads in the .990-.998 range reliably. Yeast will likely have more effect on this than sugar type. Calories in 100g of different types of sugar:

white table sugar: 396
brown sugar (sucrose with 3.5-6.5% molasses): 373
dextrose: 370

So, with respect to fermentability and potential gravity I believe dextrose and brown sugar are nearly indistinguishable.

Hey guys,
I'm new here and am going to give this a shot. I just went out to the LHBS and bought a 5 gallon BB as well as one of the orange carboy caps. So on to my question: should the carboy cap create a completely air-tight seal on the 5 gal BB? I put some water in the BB, placed the cap on top and flipped it upside down and when I tilt it back towards upright a bunch of water dumps out that was collected in the cap. Is this normal or should I go another route to seal the BB?

I'm looking foward to getting this started but want to make sure it's correct before I begin.

Hey guys,
I'm new here and am going to give this a shot. I just went out to the LHBS and bought a 5 gallon BB as well as one of the orange carboy caps. So on to my question: should the carboy cap create a completely air-tight seal on the 5 gal BB? I put some water in the BB, placed the cap on top and flipped it upside down and when I tilt it back towards upright a bunch of water dumps out that was collected in the cap. Is this normal or should I go another route to seal the BB?

I'm looking foward to getting this started but want to make sure it's correct before I begin.

It doesn't need to be perfectly air-tight; microorganisms cannot crawl, only fall.

How cold can you ferment? I was going to start up another two batches of this stuff. All me brew heaters are a bit busy. Montrachet should do fine in the upper 50s, no? I won't be in a hurry, but I don't want it to stall out.
Jeff

The specifications say 60-80. I know when I had mine at 60, fermentation was very slow compared to when I heated it up to 66. Upper 50's might be a wee bit cold.

It doesn't need to be perfectly air-tight; microorganisms cannot crawl, only fall.

Thanks for the reply. So there is no fear of oxidation if it's not air-tight? I plan on letting it sit in the BB for at least 3 months.

As I mentioned, I used KV-1116 which is an almost fool-proof yeast that finishes wines and meads in the .990-.998 range reliably. Yeast will likely have more effect on this than sugar type. Calories in 100g of different types of sugar:

white table sugar: 396
brown sugar (sucrose with 3.5-6.5% molasses): 373
dextrose: 370

So, with respect to fermentability and potential gravity I believe dextrose and brown sugar are nearly indistinguishable.

Thanks for the info. I think i went with CdB yeast because someone wayyyy earlier in this thread did a side-by-side comparison of that vs. Montrachet and enjoyed more of a champagne-y taste of that vs. Montrachet. After the original recipe Apfelwein finishes up, I'll give it a go with all brown sugar and KV-1116.

Thanks for the info. I think i went with CdB yeast because someone wayyyy earlier in this thread did a side-by-side comparison of that vs. Montrachet and enjoyed more of a champagne-y taste of that vs. Montrachet. After the original recipe Apfelwein finishes up, I'll give it a go with all brown sugar and KV-1116.

I only went with KV-1116 because it was on-hand from my mead making and I had no other use for it, so why buy more?

If you're picking a yeast from scratch, have a look here:

http://www.brewery.org/brewery/library/CidYeast091595.html

EC-1118 seems to be the taste test winner.

Thanks for the reply. So there is no fear of oxidation if it's not air-tight? I plan on letting it sit in the BB for at least 3 months.

Nope. CO2 is heavy, so it forms a protective blanket over the liquid. No O2 will get at it, as long as you aren't opening the thing all the time.

Quick question: can I still bottle carb if I use pectic enzyme or gelatin to clear AW made with unfiltered juice, or will there not be any yeast left in suspension to play with the priming sugar?

Ok!ive got 2 6gal batches going 1 wk apart,i checked the sg on both 1 was 1.010 and the other was 1.020.they are just over 4wks old and niether was very tasty,they are both still very cloudy used the same aldi juice in both.should i just relax and forget about them for another month?i see no activity in the air locks and as far as the juice being filterd idk it was dark but u could still see thru the jugs so i figure they should clear as well as the original juice.

I notice that you say to age it for 3 months in the carboy if you can. I'd like to free up the carboy a bit sooner. Is there a significant difference if you prime and bottle it sooner?

Also, do people here prefer it flat or sparkling?

ok. noeb's first batch. started with 2.5 gallons apple juice from the local walmart. Im as excited as my first brew! Cant wait to try this in three months? Will it be ok if I keep it in primary? I know that sounds crazy maybe time to purchase a second secondary?

I notice that you say to age it for 3 months in the carboy if you can. I'd like to free up the carboy a bit sooner. Is there a significant difference if you prime and bottle it sooner?

Also, do people here prefer it flat or sparkling?

I think the longer in the carboy, the better (up to 6 months or so), but bottle it when you need the carboy/ It should age in the bottle too. Most seem to enjoy it sparkling. I have not tried it still.

The specifications say 60-80. I know when I had mine at 60, fermentation was very slow compared to when I heated it up to 66. Upper 50's might be a wee bit cold.

I've got mine sitting in the basement, just under 60.

Wondering if I should bring it upstairs or just leave it - as I'm going to let this sit through warmer months as well.

so I just tried my first bottle fo Apfelwein. I pitched the yeast on nov 14th 2009, let it sit in primary for 2 months, bottled with 4.5 oz of corn sugar and let it sit in the bottles for a month. You guys all say it gets better from here but I dont see how it is amazing right now. :D

So I'm about to make my second batch. Very good recipe. My wife bought frozen juice with calcium lactate. Is this ok to use? Thanks

So I'm about to make my second batch. Very good recipe. My wife bought frozen juice with calcium lactate. Is this ok to use? Thanks

It will likely turn out extra tart (lactic acid from the calcium lactate). If you go ahead with that, though, please post your results. There have been questions about calcium lactate juice.

Thanks for the answer. I dont think I'm going to use it. I'll just take it back and get the other. Thanks Again

I am trudging through this entire thread [I'm gonna read every page, yes, indeed, I am!!!] and just finished post 2649 on page 265...and it's 3 March 2010!

But I started my first batch of Apfelwein about an hour ago. Mixed it according to the "original recipe" of EdWort, himself! My initial s.g. is 1.068 which is right in the ballpark with other numbers I've seen thus far.

So, I will dutifully go to the other aw thread, and add my 5 gallons to the total. I will also screw up my patience control another several notches!

glenn514:mug:

I don't know if you have to but I did Edworts' with 3 wks in primary, 1 wk secondary, cold
crashed it for 4 days then back sweetened 3/4c to 5 gal and bottled. Some carbed most
didn't. 1 spit 3/4 L out and over the hand rail (14 ft). I did my first batch in Dec. so I'm
still new at this. I also like it better still not carbed.
Rick
They say it will get better the longer you wait.I've got 5gal in a corny and a couple dozen
1 L bottles. It came out good with 7 wks from start to a glass at the table.

My first batch has been in primary for exactly 3 weeks tomorrow. I've tested the OG about 5 times now as and excuse to take a sneak peak and I can't f 'n wait any longer! It's all there right in front of me, teasing me, taunting me and knowing that age is key here I struggle to refrain from indulging myself too early.

The FG is consistent at 0.999 and it tastes amazing. I'm bottling tomorrow on the 3 week mark and going to put a few bottles aside to age and a few to dig into while i wait for the others to age, and I'm immediately starting a second batch.

I need support guys somebody talk me out of this, patients is a virtue but I'm going to crack. Just picture the sequence of events

:mug: ----->:drunk:----->:fro:----->:ban:

Help. I dont want to go through 600 posts. Can I let mine sit for 3 months in primary or do I have to rack to secondary?
I have two 4 gallon batches going right now. I am going to let both of them set for at least two months and maybe longer before I bottle.

You're not gonna get any support from me! We bottled our organic batch on Feb 20th and I'm going to succumb to the temptation and crack open a 12 oz tomorrow. Tasted too good testing the FG before bottling for me to put em all in a closet and forget about them. Carbonation should be close to complete by tomorrow...I just can't help myself.

My first batch has been in primary for exactly 3 weeks tomorrow. I've tested the OG about 5 times now as and excuse to take a sneak peak and I can't f 'n wait any longer! It's all there right in front of me, teasing me, taunting me and knowing that age is key here I struggle to refrain from indulging myself too early.

The FG is consistent at 0.999 and it tastes amazing. I'm bottling tomorrow on the 3 week mark and going to put a few bottles aside to age and a few to dig into while i wait for the others to age, and I'm immediately starting a second batch.

I need support guys somebody talk me out of this, patients is a virtue but I'm going to crack. Just picture the sequence of events

:mug: ----->:drunk:----->:fro:----->:ban:

No joke...I just opened 2 bottles of the all-organic batch I that's been bottle-conditioning for just over 2 weeks. That ish was freaking awesome! less bubbles than I'd like...but it's going to be an awesome taste 1, 2, 3, etc. months from now!

I just tapped a keg of year old Apflewein.
It's worth the wait.

I am getting ready to start a second batch now that I'm going to have a spare carboy. Anyone know if cider vs apple juice has much difference in the finished product? I have seen lots of posts on people doing this, but none comparing the end result.

I am about 10 days from bottling my first batch of this. I have 3 wine bottles I'd like to use, along with a bunch of bomber beer bottles. I assume the wine bottles can't take beer caps - do I need a special wine corker or would simply shoving the cork in manually work? Apologies if this a stupid Wine 101 question, but so far I've only brewed beer.

You would need a corker unless you have Screwcap wine bottles. Also, if you intend to prime for carbonation DO NOT USE WINE BOTTLES. They cannot take the pressure unless made for Champagne or other sparkling wine.

I bottled some still in Corked wine bottles then primed and did my crown capped beer bottles.

I was planning on using them for the still part of the "still v. carbed" experiment. So, just shoving the cork in does not provide a proper seal?

Heh.. well, it might **IF** you could shove in a cork. Pretty hard to shove in a new cork without a corker to compress it. I suppose if you have the original corks and they are in decent shape you might get away with it. Not sure how good the seal would be.

Maybe that's why I have it in my head - for one of the bottles, I do have the original cork and it seems like it has a pretty good seal going back in. However, I just checked my LHBS website and they have a cheap ($8) corker/plastic plunger. If that would fit my purposes here, I'll just cough up the eight bucks. If I need some 30-90 dollar capper, I'll just stick to the bomber bottles.

I am getting ready to start a second batch now that I'm going to have a spare carboy. Anyone know if cider vs apple juice has much difference in the finished product? I have seen lots of posts on people doing this, but none comparing the end result.

I put on a batch using apple juice and unpasturized cider at the same time. Bottled the AJ batch after 5-6 weeks, but the cider batch took another month to clear up. Then I racked it to a secondary due to the HUGE amount of sediment, the sides were completely covered and there must have been 2 inches on the bottom. Its starting to clear up now after 2 months, not sure of the taste comparison tho.

Back