Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Donkey Sniffer has a point!

Give it time...lots of time!

And really...get another batch going.....by the time the first one gets really good...you're going to be too late and you'll have to wait a LONG time for the next batch....

I had some star san in my ale pail and racked it to a cornie before mixing up my apfelwein this evening. In the bottom of the empty ale pale sat an airlock obscured by foam. I poured the juice right on top of it! Good thing I received a shipment from AHBS today replete w/ a spare airlock!

I'm in a good mood with 5 gallons bubbling, 5 gallons just mixed, and 5 gallons bottled. I have yet to make it past 2 weeks in the bottle before consuming my entire batches...

just ordered the yeast and dextrose today. thought it would be a nice surprise for my brother in law who lived in Germany for many years. Hope its as good as all the hype. BTW nice instructions Ed.....your the reason i feel like this is going to be pretty easy to make. My guess is it will ferment fine in a classic ale pail at around 70 degrees?

I have my first batch in a bucket right now. Trouble with a bucket is I can't see what is going on in there.Not much to see I know, but I still want to look. Did my second batch in a 5 gallon water bottle. I can see that one work.

wow all i can say is this stuff is awesome. I racked off into my secondary so I could use my fermenter. I pour off a small glass and after finding it a little tart for my taste I put one splenda mini tablet in it and that was all I needed. The taste was awesome and I can't wait until I have it bottled and aged. Thank you Ed for the recipe.

I will be making some of this delicious recipe or so I have heard for myself as soon as my fermentor is emptied from the batch I have not even started.

My question is after searching though countless pages is:

How does the Lalvin K1-V1116 Montpellier yeast work as a substitute?

My LHBS does not carry red star anymore and I just did a order from NB, so this seems like the best alternative. Anyone had success with it?

The Donkey Sniffer has a point!

Give it time...lots of time!

And really...get another batch going.....by the time the first one gets really good...you're going to be too late and you'll have to wait a LONG time for the next batch....

I will admit I like Apfelwine but I love my beer so I have only made this a few times..but let me tell u my first batch I made was over a year ago...I am drinking one as we speak......:mug:and let me tell u it may seem impossible to let a batch age for a year...like a barley wine...but if you have the will power, as I do:)...it will be well worth the wait because this stuff is so much better and very smooth. I tasted it along the way and it started to get very smooth at 6 months and than I totally forgat about a case along with my Imperial stout back in my basement...

not much more to say but I will have to get another soon..:drunk:...and make another batch....for next year!!!!:D

so moral of story is let this sucker age..if u have an extra secondary just leave it like a mead for 6 months and than drink..

don't rush it..
One interesting thing was I carbed mine up and it was highly carbed at 3 months but very little carbonation at 1 year..strange..I do enjoy it more low carbed or un carbed but just my opinion.

Jay

How can I take a sample from the Apfelwein I brewed in a bottle bucket? Can I pull from the spigot? Or will that have too much debris? I'm not sure if I should remove the lid and release the gas.

The CO2 will still cover the liquid if you open the lid. I just pop the top and use a wine theif.

I assume you have an airlock on it? If you do decide to use the spigot, make sure you take the airlock off or you'll suck whatever's in your airlock into the bucket.

Thanks, Good advice. I probably would not have thought of the airlock sucking in. I'll use a wine thief AKA baster. Should I expect much stuff in the bottom of my bucket with this?

The yeast in Apfelwein compress pretty tightly, so there should not be a lot of sediment in there.

Finally bottled my apfelwein tonight. Nobody told me how amazing the color of it would be!

Did have one problem though. I was about 4 bottles into the process and pulled the hose for my bottling wand right off the spigot of my bottling bucket. And I forgot to do the dishwasher door trick. :p

Did 5 bombers and a six pack to carb and bottled the rest still in wine bottles.

Quick Question for the wise: I've been busy and .. um .. 'left' my clearing carboy of apfelwein in the basement for a while .. say since April. Given that it has been airlocked properly, is this puppy DOA? Or salvageable? I would venture to guess it's good to go..

thanks

Was it your primary or secondary?

If it was your secondary, I'd say that you're just fine and you should drink it. You just bulk aged it and it'll probably be better than mine is right now in the bottles.

If it was your primary, I'd think there's a little chance of a few off flavors but I'd say you should drink that too.

Awesome! It's in the secondary; That is what I was hoping to read.

At least now I'll have a little more confidence when I bottle it up this weekend.

thanks ChshreCat!!

I took the easy way out. Coopers carbonation drops. One in each regular 12oz bottle and two in each bomber. Worked just fine so far. I checked after 24 hours and there was no sign of the drops in the bottles so they dissolved nicely. Shall see in another few weeks how it worked.

Yep, although measuring by weight is a safer way to do it. 1 oz per gallon. So for 2.5 gallons, you'd want 2.5 oz of sugar. If you want it more or less carbonated, you can adjust from there.

Could just bottle up the still half, then mix in your sugar with what's left in the bottling bucket.

If I were to make a batch and age it for a year, should I rack to secondary after fermentation is finished. Or just put it in the corner of my closet and just make sure the airlock doesn't dry out.

Yep, although measuring by weight is a safer way to do it. 1 oz per gallon. So for 2.5 gallons, you'd want 2.5 oz of sugar. If you want it more or less carbonated, you can adjust from there.

Could just bottle up the still half, then mix in your sugar with what's left in the bottling bucket.
How did you get 1oz? That works out to be 1.8 volume of CO2 and sounds light?

If I were to make a batch and age it for a year, should I rack to secondary after fermentation is finished. Or just put it in the corner of my closet and just make sure the airlock doesn't dry out.

I personally wouldn't leave it on yeast for a year, but to each his own.

Next time I make this..I'm adding the aspirin directly to the carboy..that way I don't forget.:drunk:

Man, this post is getting ridiculous, right? 407 pages of replies? Is anyone keeping track anymore?

Actually...You bumped it to 108!...and no. We answer the same set of questions every 20 or so pages. You can go back and find most of us at our first batch...it's a cool time trip if you're into it.

My first post here was #2700 on page 270!

all I can say is that Apfelwein is Evil.
Shameless, Pure Unadulterated Evil.

that said.
Apple Juice is on sale again, so guess what will be going into primary #3.

Finally received my montrachet yeast (it took what seemed like forever to arrive) I will be making a batch this weekend. Thanks, Ed!

montrachet seems to be hard to get. my lhbs does not carry it and every time i order it from online they tell me a week after i ordered that they dont have it to ship yet.

Just bought mine from Grape and Granary in Ohio. No afiliation etc...

They have it in stock and ready to go...
Good luck!

montrachet seems to be hard to get. my lhbs does not carry it and every time i order it from online they tell me a week after i ordered that they dont have it to ship yet.

All the LHBS here were out for a few weeks a month ago. Even AHBS was out as I tried to order it there. Last week my local shop (leeners) got in a shipment and I grabbed maybe a half dozen packets.

Check again every few days and I'm sure you will see some soon.

All the LHBS here were out for a few weeks a month ago. Even AHBS was out as I tried to order it there. Last week my local shop (leeners) got in a shipment and I grabbed maybe a half dozen packets.

Check again every few days and I'm sure you will see some soon.

Northernbrewer finally got it back in stock, so I would imagine many others will as well.

Back