Maltzilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidelity101

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.morebeer.com/products/maltzilla-motorized-malt-mill-premium-diamond-rollers.html
Has anyone tried out this electric grain mill? I tried it today with a setting of 0.035" and it did a great job running at 24 volts.

Here is a video of the mill in action. Note: This was just a test run to see voltage output on my converted PC power supply...the final setup won't have so many wires everywhere. :)

I'm still looking for a better funnel solution as the one I have barely holds 1 pound of grain.

Update: I found a funnel...but I should have been looking at the crushed grain (or should I say dust grain) because this Maltzilla is the reason my mash was becoming a solid brick within 5-10 minutes. Does anyone know how to change reviews on morebeer.com? I posted a positive review before I realized it was turning the grain into dust.

Last edited:
update: Apparently there are dials! I had mine at .5 and .75mm which is clearly to small. Would have been nice to know about those dials before...the measurement provided does NOT match up to the actual gap so it’s a new way of doing things and that should be explained in detail on the sales website

Nobody has tried this huh?

I was blaming Spike on stuck mashes with the Spike Solo...turns out it was just this Maltzilla (set to 0.041") that was turning my grain into dust.

This is from the Maltzilla on 0.041"
IMG_3505.jpeg

The center of this picture is from a Cereal Grinder set to a finer grain size (0.038")

IMG_3506.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a large funnel from morebeer and cut the bottom to only 2.5” so it fit tightly. But I see people using 5 gallon water jugs and that should be a perfect fit.

Now that I see the dials on the side, I want to try it again after setting both sides to 1mm which should be 0.040”. Of course I have to take their word for it because it’s not ACTUALLY 0.040” since I have it sized to 0.041” and the dials show .5mm and .75mm

While my Maltzilla had a gap that was ACTUALLY 0.041", the dials were telling me it was .5mm and .75mm and that's probably what caused all the powder...an extremely fine crush. So I'm going to try again with the dials set at 1.0mm which equals 0.040" even though the ACTUAL gap size is now 0.058"

I am in the market for a mill and this one caught my eye. I like the thought process of the diamond roller function but the way you have to ghetto a hopper together bothers me and all in all it seems like a work in progress from the manufacture. People who own this do you recommend it or is a classic mill still a main stay?

Well personally, I had 3 stuck mashes before realizing the dials had mm markings that translated into some modified mill size (that had nothing to do with gap spacing) so that set me back. I've yet to try milling with both dials set to 1.0mm so I still can't recommend this as anything other than a mill that produces powder for stuck mashes.

I also modified a HUGE funnel from morebeer but I would probably just cut up a 5 gallon water jug if I had to do it again as that's what the opening is designed for.

It has potential but the instructions need to be better (or at least exist!) and the hopper NEEDS to be made available as an order option. If/when those two things happen then it has the opportunity to be a good product. The motor works great on 12v and 24v.

Back