Malto dextrin ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
On deck is a Hobgoblin clone. In the recipe I found they call for malto dextrin. Is this the same as / can I sub some amount of carapils grain for this?

Thanks

B

Yea, it accomplishes the same thing. I can't help you on how much to sub in it's place.

Did you get the recipe from BYO? I recently brewed this beer with a few changes to increase the alcohol and convert it to PM and it turned out great!

Can anyone suggest how much carapils to add? The recipe calls for 4 oz m-d.

B

I believe they are different names for the same things so for 4oz of maltodextrin you'd simply replace it with 4oz of carapils.

Well, uha, well, its not quite that simple as a 1:1 of Carapils to maltodextrin and they are not exactly the same although the final affect on the beer is similar.

Maltodextrin is a product made from starch that is souble in water and is added to the kettle to add body, mouthfeel, and foam stability to the beer. Based on its effects, it is much more concentrated than CaraPils. So 4 oz of maltodextrin has a greater effect on the beer than 4 oz of CaraPils.

CaraPils is undermodified barley malt which contains high levels of beta glucans and a small amount of dextrin or maltodextrin. It is added into the mash contains proteins, tannins, etc unlike maltodextrin. It is dried to have a low color of 1.2 - 1.8 L and minimal flavor but it is not completely tastless. It is likely the body, mouthfeel and foam stability comes form the thickening properties of the beta glucan. The effects of CaraPils on thickening beer is limited compared to maltodextrin. If you use up to the recommended 5% of CaraPils and want additional body, you need to change to maltodextrin.

If it were me following the recipe, I would use maltodextrin as suggested. If you like the beer and brew it more often, experiment with a beer made with the max (5% or so) of CaraPils.

Dr Malt :mug:

I haven't found a supplier for m-d but have found one who has carapils. He pointed out Orfy's (spelling??) extract recipe which has 170 g of carapils of a total of about 4 kg, which is roughly-roughly 5% of the total.

Thanks all for the help - I look forward to a great brew of HG clone!!

b

Back